1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cicken Head twitch

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mark 98012, Oct 12, 2011.

1. mark 98012

mark 98012 New Egg

Oct 7, 2011
    I have a 2 week old Black Silky. and it is always twitching its head. it seems it has a hard time sleeping because it it keeps twitching and waking itself up. Any idea what it is or what i can do.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Baby chicks are often twitchy because they are starting to grow in their adult plumage, and that's itchy business. I'd check for mites and lice, but if I didn't find any I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I opened this to check if you were asking about a Silkie. They're prone to this type of thing, it's neurological and nothing you can do about it. Something about the way the skull is formed, they have a "soft spot" like human infants and it's prone to injury. It's not life threatening and it shouldn't affect it's quality of life.

4. mark 98012

mark 98012 New Egg

Oct 7, 2011
    Thank you

5. Yardfarm Family

Yardfarm Family Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Mchenry County, Il
    So is it normal for chicks to have a head twitch? Mine are 6 days old seem very healthy but one started twitching last night and now 3 are. One in particular is being noisy so I am worried they have a sickness. Does head twitching stop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by