1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cickens in the heat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ericmcginn5, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    this is not really an emergiantse but i have brown sex link sand i live in florida were it is hot is there anything i need to do to keep the coop coller its top half of the coop is wood the botton half is mesh

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Windows covered in hardware cloth for circulation, lots of shade (maybe moving the coop under trees or on the north side of another building), a fan in the coop, frozen water bottles in the water, and a shallow pan of water to cool their feet.

3. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    i like your window idea if i do thay wouldnt my chickens get wet when it rAINS'

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Cover or close the window in bad weather. They really need the air circulation in the heat and especially in high humidity. When we have very hot, humid weather my coop fans run 24/7. In my barn I make puddles for the birds to stand in and aim a fan at that area. When it's really hot they line up in front of the fan while standing in the water. Wetting their feet and moving the air around them to dissipate heat really helps a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by