Cinder Blocks for duck house/shelter?

rocky41102

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 31, 2010
Tennessee
We have two muscovies and a pekin. We need a shelter for night time. It doesn't have to be fancy or anything, just something we can secure them in at night so predators don't get to them. They have a pond and they spend their days in the water or near it so we don't need a pen or anything like that. We have a lot of blocks and mortar left over from when we did our foundation so can we build a duck house out of cinder blocks? Any tips or pictures on how to go about it? I know we'd need a roof and a door from different material. Also, what would you put on the floor-concrete, dirt...? We're in Tennessee so it gets cold here, but not drastically freezing all winter if that makes a difference. I'd also like a decent sized shelter so we could add a few more ducks. I'm also not overly concerned with it lasting forever-we can make repairs if needed or build a new one in a few years. We're low on money for this type of project but we've got these blocks laying around so it would be great to use them but I don't want to mess with it if it's not going to be a good shelter...Thanks so much!

Quote:
I was thinking we could use the metal vents that we used for the foundation of our house and put a few of those in...Either that or I'm not sure what else. Some kind of wire/fence material maybe. How much ventilation is needed and where would you locate the vents/windows? If we replaced 3 blocks with some kind of vent would that be enough? Or would we need more?

Sure, I've done it for juvenile ducks. As long as the Muscovy can't break through (they are very strong).
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom