1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cinder blocks?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by catcat, Feb 27, 2012.

1. catcat

catcat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    I'm sure there's a reason no one seems to use cinder blocks in building coops but if the walls extend down below the soil a full foot and there are layers of wire mesh completely covering the bottom..why not?

2. Eznet2u

Eznet2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I have seen people giving away bricks or cinder blocks on Craigslist. Otherwise you are going to have to spend money buying the cinder blocks.

I suggest getting free pallets and building a coop out of free materials.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Most anyone can build a coop from wood, but laying blocks takes more skill.
    You can take a wooden coop apart and move or reuse it, but blocks , not so easily.

They should have a concrete footing to be stable and to prevent cracks as it settles.

If you don't mind the extra work, and the appearance, there's no reason why it couldn't be done though

5. MARANMAN2011

MARANMAN2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    If u got deep pockets u can come build me one too.

6. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    I saw this and was scared someone would say they were dangerous or something. My "coop" is a cinder block garage.

7. catcat

catcat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    I'm a total newbie and was freaking out about security. I have, since starting this thread, completed my own coop out of wood. I've never built anything before but I think it came out well. The pullets have been in it for a week now and it's going great. I've added a screened-in run extending from the area under the coop out eight feet. That gives them a 13'x4' ranging space. I painted it the colors of our own house and had to add girly decorations because that's how I am. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by