Cinderella the Ameracana sick. UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Desert Plum, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Desert Plum

Desert Plum Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    So. Calif desert area
    UPDATE: Cinderella was culled last night. May she run wild fields in the other worlds eating bugs and scratching everywhere. Sigh. I now have ten little girls but I do wish I had my 12 again.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm just bumping this up in the hopes that DLUnicorn or some other miracle worker can figure it out.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I hate to say this, but it sounds a lot like coccidiosis which is common in young birds/chicks. If you have a store available, go pick up some Sulmet- others use different antibiotics, but I'm still using the sulmet. Mix according to bottle directions.

In the mean time and don't quote me on this, but I think feeding her yogurt will help coat the intestine and will not allow the bacteria to grow.

With Cocci, as they stand in the cage, their beaks look larger, and take on a vultures appearance, hunched shoulders, cold/hot and refuse food.

Get the yogurt with live cultures- try a bit of flavor at first- the sugar is a no no, it will create loose stools, but at this point, it doesn't matter.

4. Desert Plum

Jan 13, 2009
    So. Calif desert area
    Quote:Do they sometimes get it even thought they have been vaccinated?

5. Desert Plum

Jan 13, 2009
    So. Calif desert area
    Bump for additional help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by