Cinnabun 6 week old Bantam EE - Girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by echip, Aug 23, 2010.

1. echip

echip Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Here is dear little Cinnabun, a six week old Bantam EE chick. She is the only one of my 17 who has the brown partridge coloring common to female EE's and I so much want to keep her. She is affectionate and calm, loves to be picked up and held. I love that she is getting white muffs, such a cute look.

But there is that cherry red comb. Another possible Rooish sign is that she has two long skinny tail feathers, not like a rooster's sickle feather but two feathers that stick way out in back. She's kind of broken them so they dangle, but I'm wondering if they are a sign of a long-tailed bird somewhere in her past.

So is there any hope? I can't keep roosters, at least not technically. I suppose if one were very quiet, then maybe.

Here she is:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's her funny tail:

[​IMG]

2. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Easter Eggers can be funky, and I have had the most success sexing them by color. By color I would say that yours looks like a boy, to blotchy, and there looks to be some red saddle feathers coming in, and the hackles look a little boyish. A female should have more camouflage and smooth (the colors almost seem to flow into each other) coloring. Hopefully I am wrong, cute little fellow though.

3. echip

echip Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Thank you. Your explanation of the colors flowing into one another is a perfect description of two EE females from my first flock years ago. I visited the EE Braggers Thread to look at other brown/partridge EE hens and sure enough, the colors do flow and have a softer look in the hens and are more vivid and blotchy in the boys. I knew Cinnabun's colors were similar to my first hens, but until your description I couldn't put my finger on the way in which Cinnabun's colors differed from them.

This means that out of 17 straight run bantam EE's I have 10 little roosters. Lots of rehoming to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by