1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cinnamon coturnix - but the weirdest one I've seen so far!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sphanges, Mar 16, 2013.

1. sphanges

sphanges Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Hi all,

I picked up this boy today and he is like a gorgeous little puzzle of a bird.

I've seen a cinnamon pharaoh male in the flesh before, and he looked like a normal pharaoh but with a rich red chest and a lighter, almost chocolatey colour on his face and back. This one is very different!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, his chest is speckled so much I thought he was a girl at first glance (his chest looks like some of my italian females but with red in the place of the golden). His back is exactly like a pharaoh with a slightly lighter tint. And he has white splashes on his chest and wings - something I thought could only happen with a range colour base. which he definitely isn't!

I'm so confused.. what on earth IS this guy? A male speckle chested cinnamon pharaoh tuxedo? I had no idea that could even exist!

(Yes it's DEFINITELY a male!)

Cheers
    B

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    He is BEAUTIFUL!

3. sphanges

sphanges Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    I couldn't resist him with that colouring :) He had a brother too with the same chest but less white, which I didn't buy. I've emailed another local quail breeder who might be interested in the other one, cause it would be a shame not to breed from this colour.

B

4. NicoleRook

NicoleRook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Lake Community, NJ
    What a lovely color!

5. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    James Marie Farms has a male kinda like that. Robby calls it an American Pharoah. His are an X.L. Meat Class bird. I hope they are as pretty as that guy cause I have a mess of them in my brooder.

6. kenazzo2000

kenazzo2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    malta [europe]
    Take care of him he's a nice quail

7. kenazzo2000

kenazzo2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    malta [europe]
    Take care of him he's a nice quail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by