Cinnamon Oatmeal

bmurphy349

Chirping
Sep 15, 2019
I’ve fed the girls plain oatmeal. I’ve fed the girls plain grits. Can I feed them cinnamon oatmeal and cheese grits??

Do you not have access to chicken feed? If you do have chicken feed, limit non-feed treats to less than 10% of their diet, it will dilute the nutrition needed for growth and egg production.

Make sure that they have grit if you are feeding anything but chicken food. And I mean chicken or chick grit, not grits. Grit is little pebbles that they eat that helps break down (grind up) the food, so that they can digest it. Chick grit is smaller pieces than chicken grit.
If they haven’t had grit before, they might eat a lot of it when you first put it out. I put it in a small bowl in the brooder, in the coop I use a rabbit feeder that attaches to the wall. The last batch of chicks went crazy for it at first because it was new. That only lasted a day or two, then it seemed like they realized it wasn’t food and they stopped overeating it. Now that they are adults, they get most of their grit from the ground in the run. I only have to fill the grit feederonce or twice a year, maybe a third time if there is too much snow in the run during the winter.

Do you not have access to chicken feed? If you do have chicken feed, limit non-feed treats to less than 10% of their diet, it will dilute the nutrition needed for growth and egg production.
I was filling in at work and had access to free treats for all the girls. They also get crumble, scratch and the free range. AND the granddaughters have discovered the joy of feeding them worms. Lol

Make sure that they have grit if you are feeding anything but chicken food. And I mean chicken or chick grit, not grits. Grit is little pebbles that they eat that helps break down (grind up) the food, so that they can digest it. Chick grit is smaller pieces than chicken grit.
If they haven’t had grit before, they might eat a lot of it when you first put it out. I put it in a small bowl in the brooder, in the coop I use a rabbit feeder that attaches to the wall. The last batch of chicks went crazy for it at first because it was new. That only lasted a day or two, then it seemed like they realized it wasn’t food and they stopped overeating it. Now that they are adults, they get most of their grit from the ground in the run. I only have to fill the grit feederonce or twice a year, maybe a third time if there is too much snow in the run during the winter.
My girls are all over 6mos to a year and free range as much as I can let them.

Back
Top Bottom