Cinnamon Ornamentals

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by frenchblackcopper, May 17, 2011.

1. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Okay, I had some adult Cinnamon pheasants last year,,but lost them so this year I purchased 1 dozen Cinnamon hatching eggs from E-Bay from a breeder that lived about 100 miles away. He sent me 14 eggs,,one egg was a Black Melanistic,the rest was all Cinnamon Golden eggs. Out of the 14 eggs he sent me,,10 hatched including the black,which is all white in color now. But the other 9 that are supposed to be all Cinnamons,,I have about 5 of them that are all dark tan in color,,and the other 4-5 have stripes down their backs. I hatched out 4 of my own Red Goldens 2 days before these hatched and some of the so called striped cinnamons looks exactly the same. So my question is,,since I have never seen Cinnamon chicks before,are they born a dark tan color? Or do they also have stripes across the tops of their backs?

2. Junglefowl

Junglefowl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    New Mexico
    Cinnamon goldens looks just like the reds but, are a soft tan/cinnamon. If you,d like go to my website at www.villagranaaviary.webs.com go to photos. I have a photo album labeled golden chicks. There you can see the difference in color of all 8 colors of the golden. It would so be helpful to post pics of the young chick. I could help you a lot better.
    Saul

3. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    [​IMG]
    If you look close here on the right is definately 3 Cinnamon chicks,,but you can also see the two with stripes across their backs,just as red golden chicks looks like,,,

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    are you positive both birds in the breeding are both cinnamons? If one is a red gold the chicks will most likely be split 50/50

5. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    No, I'm just the buyer of the sellers eggs,,which was supposed to be all Cinnamon Goldens,,but after they started to hatch there was and still is a very noticable diffrence in color and markings,,now I'm wondering if even the tan-brown chicks are pure Cinnamon,or possibly mixed with something else

6. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    you shouldnt get anything crazy, they most likely would be 50% red gold birds, 50% cinnamons if thats the case. the cinnamons bred back to parent stock should produce cinnamon offspring.

Im playing with some genetic pairings right now. i have a yellow splash rooster with a darkthroat hen. Ill probably get mixed offspring, which will be bred back in hopes of developing a splash darkthroat.

7. Junglefowl

Junglefowl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    New Mexico
    I only see 4 goldens. Three cinnamon and one yellow golden the others look like ring necks. Can you take pics of ea. One as close as possible?

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  8. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    [​IMG]
    I think this one is the single Black Melanistic that hatched.
    [​IMG]
    These two appear to be Cinnamons
    [​IMG]
    Anybodies guess on these two.
    [​IMG]
    Another 2 that look nothing alike.
    [​IMG]
    Last of them

9. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    I'm guessing the rusty colored ones are Cinnamons,,but the striped and super dark ones?? I have 4 red goldens of my own that hatched 3 days before this group,,the striped ones that hatched in this so called "Cinnamon" bunch looks similiar,although one is a lighter yellow than my red goldens that hatched. I think it's pretty bad that so many eggs are mislabeled out of 12 that was bought.He has offered to send me more eggs,if I pay the shipping,,only problem is my incubator is almost full,and will be by overfull Saturday nite,so getting more eggs now is not possible. And probably within 2-3 more weeks the egg laying season will be over for Ornamentals.

10. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    THe yellow one on top is not a melanistic. They hatch out black with a little yellow on them. But then question is, what is it??

Last edited: May 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by