Cinnamon Queen Recipe

BurbCoop

Songster
6 Years
Apr 1, 2017
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I’ve read hatcheries have different “recipes” for Cinnamon Queens. This is our first CQ, assuming with the white tips it is a RIR x SLW cross?

Curious to see what everyones CQ of this variant/age look like. This one is about six weeks old. Lots of comb development, which seems to be expected with the breed.

I will say this chick is very feisty, sassy, and flighty compared to our previous flock members. It will stand up, chest bump, and walk all over anything that comes into view 😆

The black PBE (we think) is very shy and flighty in comparison.

Attachments

• 99D48B66-387A-45FB-A21C-C8F848B06343.jpeg
    99D48B66-387A-45FB-A21C-C8F848B06343.jpeg
    880.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 2DCDB1A7-2E86-446E-BDE7-7D38F150AE4F.jpeg
    2DCDB1A7-2E86-446E-BDE7-7D38F150AE4F.jpeg
    962 KB · Views: 8
I’ve read hatcheries have different “recipes” for Cinnamon Queens. This is our first CQ, assuming with the white tips it is a RIR x SLW cross?
Not impossible, but unlikely, because your chick has a single comb.

If it had a Silver Laced Wyandotte mother, your chick would probably have a rose comb like her. (Wyandottes do occasionally produce chicks with single combs, but on average you should expect rose combs most of the time from Wyandotte-crosses.)

For Cinnamon Queens and many other hybrids, the hatcheries are not really crossing pure breeds at all. They have lines of parent stock that are selected to produce good hybrids. (Decades ago when these hybrids first started being produced, people did cross pure breeds to get them. But then they started "improving" those breeds in ways that produce better hybrid chicks, but no longer match the original purebreds. That's where the parent stock comes from.)

Ahh, yeah. I didn’t even think of the single comb. The parent stock makes sense. So basically the hatcheries have CQs used for breeding? Wouldn’t that mess with their ability to keep them sex linked, or would one of the parents need to be a relatively pure breed? (sorry, I am still trying to better understand how sex linking works)

Ahh, yeah. I didn’t even think of the single comb. The parent stock makes sense. So basically the hatcheries have CQs used for breeding? Wouldn’t that mess with their ability to keep them sex linked, or would one of the parents need to be a relatively pure breed? (sorry, I am still trying to better understand how sex linking works)

If I understand right, the parent stock is very carefully selected for the most desirable traits in the resulting sexlinks and has probably drifted a good deal from the original breeds that they began with.

The parent stock makes sense. So basically the hatcheries have CQs used for breeding? Wouldn’t that mess with their ability to keep them sex linked, or would one of the parents need to be a relatively pure breed? (sorry, I am still trying to better understand how sex linking works)
You are correct that breeding Cinnamon Queens to each other would mess up the sex linking.

The hatchery needs to keep two lines of parent stock, one red and one silver. They keep each line separate, as if it were a pure breed, and cross males from one (red) with females from the other (silver) to get Cinnamon Queens.

But the red parent stock line is not really Rhode Island Red. And the silver line is not really Silver Laced Wyandotte.

Quick Update: She is getting close to laying. The feather patterning on this pullet kept changing almost weekly, it was quite interesting. She also has some crazy hackle feathers that are super shiny and reflect light at night 🙂

57D56EA8-DDCD-42E6-B370-FCF964163122.jpeg

91D2AF97-0FAE-4A02-BB29-03BA6832102B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom