1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cinnamon Queens and Black Rocks???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NC_Chick0403, Sep 12, 2009.

1. NC_Chick0403

NC_Chick0403 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    I've got an assortment of hens and have identified the Mille de Fleur and what I believe is a Japanese Buff Blacktail bantams....but assuming these reds are Cinnamon queens based on pictures and these various black ones are black rocks. Can anyone confirm? The bigger of the black hens have a green sheen to their feathers. They all have single combs.

Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The bird in your second picture looks like a black sex link. The one in the third picture looks like a red or gold sex link.

3. NC_Chick0403

Sep 7, 2009
    Thanks, but any idea what type of sex-link?

4. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just what I said above. Unless you know the hatchery, there isn't really a way to tell what brand name they are. The different names for sex links really are just a brand name anyway, the crosses are pretty much the same.

5. NC_Chick0403

Sep 7, 2009
    Is it possible the larger black hens are Black Australorps?

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think it's definitely possible. If they have no red/brown feathers and are larger (my aussies have been a fair bit bigger than my other birds), I would guess they are australorps.

7. NC_Chick0403

Sep 7, 2009
    When they were little they had yellow bottoms and a bit of white in their wings (which has grown/molted out)...one is so big she won't get up on the roost bar herself (just a little spoiled).

Thanks for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by