1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cinnamon red breasted buttons??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CreamBruelle, Nov 12, 2016.

1. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    Ok so I'm trying to figure out something with cinnamon red breasted button quail. If I breed two of them together, is that ok?? Or do I have to breed a cinnamon to a red breasted? If it is ok to breed two cinnamon red breasted together, will the offspring look like the parents?

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Both cinnamon and red breasted is supposed to be recessive, meaning if both parents display the colors, they possess both genes twice - so they can't not give them to their offspring and theoretically speaking, yes, their offspring should look like the parents.
    It might be better for genetic diversity to out-cross as there is a decent chance that two birds displaying the same two recessive mutations are somewhat closely related, but to the extend of my knowledge, it should work.
    On a side note, do you have good pictures of these birds? I have something that might be a cinnamon and possibly red breasted roo, but I'm not too sure, so I'd like to compare.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by