Citric Acid And Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Pump Hill Peeps, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Pump Hill Peeps

Pump Hill Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Jordan, NY
    I Have Access To 55 Gallon Barrels That Contained Citric Acid For A Brewery. I Have To Assume The Ca Was For Adding To A Beverage They Made. Does Anyone Know If I Cleaned The Barrels, Would They Be Ok To Use For Water For The Peeps?

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I think if you scrub them out they should work fine as waterers. Also [​IMG]

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Wash them out with baking soda mixed with warm water, the baking soda will neutralize the acid, then rinse clean.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:This is what I'd do, but I'd fill the barrel with water into which you've dissolved a pound or two of baking soda then set the drum in a warm place for a day or two. That ought to pretty thoroughly neutralize any remaining acid.

5. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Citric acid is just vitamin C, I would not think anything more than a rinse would be needed. Citric acid is not a bad cleaner either often used in beer/wine making so likely the barrels are pretty clean and sterilized.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Citric Acid is NOT vitamin C, Ascorbic Acid is!

7. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Citric acid is one of the most commonly used "tonics" and water sanitizers used in the commercial poultry industry. Its main use is for the control of "bio film" in closed, and less often, open watering systems.

I know that ACV is the darling of backyard poultry producers but commercial poultry people who rely upon science and a balance sheet to make decisions would scoff at the concept. Vinegar, just plain vinegar from the store, is sometimes used at a high level to sanitize lines and clear mineral buildup. Most often however another, cheaper and more potent, acid is used for this purpose. The industry has the equipment to get the right proportion into the water to make this feasable.

Any more than a rinse to clean a food grade citric acid barrel is a waste of time.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  8. Pump Hill Peeps

Pump Hill Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Jordan, NY
    thanks for all the input. i think i'll rinse them with baking soda just for the heck of it. i always cleaned car battery terminals with it. if it cleans those...... a simple water rinse would be ok, a little baking soda can't hurt. great site this is!!!

9. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I use Citric Acid in my bread, just a pinch. This site shows a dough enhancer recipe which uses citric acid. http://www.tammysrecipes.com/node/2814
    Citric
    acid comes in food grade and non-foodgrade. It is also used to make bath bombs and such. I think it creates the fizz of the bath bomb.

I would rinse well and use the buckets.

10. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    We use citric acid to cut mineral build up on our watering line nipples in the layer barn. The birds actually drink more when it's being added to the water. I think they like the tangy taste.

It's also used in broiler production to improve feed conversion ratios. It improves mineral uptake by the birds.

A general rinse is all you need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by