Citrus a no-no?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ohiostatfan, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Ohiostatfan

Ohiostatfan Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Ohio
    My little vultures [​IMG] love pretty much everything I throw out to them....a red pepper make them absolutely bonkers the other day...

Anywho, have some grapefruit rinds here from breakfast, but thought I read somewhere that citrus was no good for chickies?
    Is this true?

Thanks!

~Bridget

2. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    yes that is true...not sure why?? Maybe someone can tell us why?!?

3. Ohiostatfan

May 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I hope so! Would love to know!

Saw on the My Pet Chicken site, no garlic or onion, but that was mostly for egg taste, but I sure as heck want to be careful to not make my little burds sick [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I do not believe that's true. I think many chickens just dont like citrus, but mine sure will eat orange sections if I give it to them.

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Will onions and garlic make eggs aste like onions and garlic? B/c I think that would be great!! esp the garlic!!!

6. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I hope citrus is ok, cuz mine just had a couple of oranges cut into slices the day before yesturday. The boys weren't eating them and I did not them to go to waste. It sure didn't seem to bother the girls any. Just gave them to my free rangers and the older girls in coop #1. None of them seem to have had any sort of reaction. (Plus they really liked them!)

7. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Will onions and garlic make eggs aste like onions and garlic? B/c I think that would be great!! esp the garlic!!!

Just wanted to say that all my chickens get clippings from our herb garden quite often. We have never noticed any kind of taste difference. Last year my DH fed our meat chinkens thyme everyday just to see if it would "pre-season" the meat. [​IMG] It didn't work!!​

8. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Nuggetsowner:) :

Just wanted to say that all my chickens get clippings from our herb garden quite often. We have never noticed any kind of taste difference. Last year my DH fed our meat chinkens thyme everyday just to see if it would "pre-season" the meat. [​IMG] It didn't work!!​

Bummer! That could have been a new selling technique--gourmet flavoured eggs!!!​

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I've given mine oranges, and they do kinda peck at it - but not very enthusiastically!

10. Ohiostatfan

May 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Well I gave them the "shell" of the grapefruit I ate, and they all went bonkers! LOL so at least I know they enjoy it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by