City attack half my flock gone :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BloominOrchid, Jul 23, 2010.

1. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    [​IMG] Oh Im so so so sad. This morning when I went out to do my morning duties I found that I had been attacked. 11 plus killed. Mostly my babies I had hatched and my silkies I had gotten from Chicken Stock. I think it was a racoon. I found one track print in the mud and it looks like a coon. I dont think anything else would have killed so many and just left them. Nothing bigger could have gotten in, I have a 6 foot fence around my yard. And Im 4 blocks outside of Philli, so our predator list isnt to large.
    So now I broken hearted my poor babies, I cant stop thinking what they must have been thinking. But I will get the attacker, and I will make a better system to lock my girls up at night. I cant wait for my man to come home in 3 weeks (out processing from the Army in TN) So I will be playing Bob the builder myself! Ideas are welcome. Please no blaming me. I know it was my fault for allowing free range.
    Here is the coop design. Its a old single car garage. 2 windows on the side and the front use to have a pull down garage door. However it was old and broken, so it has been removed. The windows are just frames right now I will be placing hardware wire over them. but the front is my question. I will figure this out, and I will not have anything attack my poor chickens again. Ugh I think im goona puke. Im so frigen upset![​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I am really sorry that happened. It is especially hard when you are alone like that but that part will be better in a few weeks. And thanks to you and him from me for him doing his duty. Many of us really appreciate that, and I know it is hard on both of you.

These links might help you determine what it was. To me, it sounds more like a dog than anything else but it could have been several different things. You'd be surprised at what predators you have in urban areas, especially if there are rivers or decent sized parks around. Don't beat yourself up about it, just try to fix it and go on.

Oklahoma State – Clues to predators
    http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Rendition-3573/unknown

Clues to Predators thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18670

3. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I am so sorry for your loss. My mom had a coon attack and killed 11 out of 15 3 week olds that were in a cage inside a 6 ft chain link fence.

4. SG_Chicken

SG_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    It could have been a fox. I have been told that they can climb like monkeys.

So sorry to hear about this loss.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:grey fox climb well reds not so much

6. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Could you take a few pictures of your current setup and post them for us? We can help you brainstorm on the easiest/best ways to help you get everything predator proofed. So sorry about your loss, [​IMG]

7. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry you lost your babies. I know how hard it must be. It sounds like your garage has the potential to be a great coop. Just put the hardware cloth over the windows, fastened with washers and screws. It's not too hard to do, especially if you buy the right width and don't have to do too much cutting. I found that cutting hardware cloth is worse than putting it up!

For the place where the pull down door was, you will have to do a little more. If you can block the bottom with a large piece of plywood (4 X 8) that covers it up to four feet when stood on its side, you can put hardware cloth across the top part and the chicks will have good ventilation. You may need help putting the wood in place, but at least you won't have to cut it. Screw this to the door frame with long screws.

Is there any kind of "people door" so you can get in to feed and clean? If not, you will have to think of something to do with the space where the pull down door was. You can cut an access door for yourself right in the plywood and put hinges on it.

This will serve for temporary use until your hubby gets home. It's not too expensive and not hard to do.

Best of luck to you, and let us know how it goes!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  8. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these are the tracks from around the attack site.
    ill go take pics of the coop/garage now.
    Thanks for all your kind words everyone

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    THe simpliest replacement for the pull down door is a new door. If money is not a concern, that would be my recommendation. Cover the windows with welded cage wire.

10. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    be aware the raccoons will be back-probably tonight. City coons or country coons, either way, they will use a food source till its exhausted. They are crafty little critters, and they will return every night till you have no chickens left. You need to get out there and fix - and I mean FIX the coop today. keep in mind raccoons can climb quite well, They will dig inder things too if its not TOO much trouble and theyre determined enough to get those chickens, they can get through alot of material including shingles, tarps, and sometimes even chicken wire, they are surprisingly strong for their size, and they have opposable thumbs so they can open doors, latches, hooks, so be sure the latch you use is not too simple or they'll figure it out.

You just might get lucky and find a garage door on craigslist for next to nothing....or some other material you could use to close that door opening. Plywood, chain link fence, etc. It might not be pretty, as long as its safe for your flock. Living in city limits though, you may have to make things look at least presentable. I dont know how your neighbors feel about living next to the ramshackle recycled franken-coop. thats what nice about the country. No neighbors to complain about any franken-coops, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by