1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

City (borough) ordinances on chicks

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by millermcnutt, Apr 26, 2017.

1. millermcnutt

millermcnutt Just Hatched

Apr 22, 2017
    Hello All! Maybe you can help me, I've hit a dead end. I live in a VERY SMALL town (pop. about 2000) Flemingsburg, KY 41041
    I've looked online, I've looked on our city ordinance page and I cannot, for the life of me, find anything about ordinances on chickens (and having them "in town") Now when I say "in town" (because I don't want people to think that I'm completely stupid and actually raising poultry 'IN TOWN') Flemingsburg is very rural, and I live in the last house inside of city limits. I live on 3/4 acre and there are horse farms that surround me on 3 sides. All of 'downtown' only has 2 stop lights, so we really aren't a 'city' at all, more like a borough. Again, I haven't found anything on the records. And as sure as I call city hall, they are going to tell me that I cannot have them....ummmm....and I already have the 6 baby chicks, plus I went out and bought their chick house, yesterday. So it's one of those things that I must consider, "is it easier to ask for permission or forgiveness?" The way it is, I HAVE NOT seen anywhere in print that says "no! you absolutely cannot have them". The boy next door did have a game rooster for a while UNTIL THE ******* KILLED IT!!!! And nobody complained about "Red" he was a beautiful bird and I loved him. He ate with my cats and would come running when I called "here kitty, kitty". Red didn't have a chicken coop, he was just a free range rooster. Mine DO have a chicken coop and won't "free range" all of the time, but I will let them run about my yard during the day. I have a fence up, so they cannot bother anyone. I only have the one neighbor, and as I said, he had RED, so the crowing should not even be an issue. I've only had my little babies for a week, but I really love them. They each have unique personalities. I am not planning on getting any more. The coop has 12 nesting beds in it, and I'm getting a heater and a heated perch, so they will be well cared for.
    So now, regarding the ordinances, what do you suggest I do?? [​IMG]

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    If nobody complains about a free range rooster, then you should not have a problem with hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by