city chicken breeds need help

Pidgey104

Cochins R Us
16 Years
Nov 10, 2007
Mooresburg TN
I need to know which breed is the quietest breed? I still have all my chickens at the farm but I live in town now and was wondering which breed whould be best for in town. They need not to be flighty. Is there a roo that don't crow much or is a quiet crower? I thought about bantam cochins. I have never had any of these before. Whats your advise?

My silkie is extremely quiet. I also have barrd rock and rhode island red, and an easter egger, they only bawk when they've laid an egg, occasional squabbles, but not too loud, I do not have roosters.

Oh my word, our barred rocks and our NH reds do NOT shut up. Lovable, good layers, but SO loud! Our Orpingtons are prob quietest. Beautiful and well-behaved. Very proper ladies,really. Check my post on Sussex, which is who I love the most today.

we got Australorps because they were supposedly really quiet and so far they are. They just started laying this week. The only time you can hear them is in the morning as they push and shove to get out of the coop and into the run. Also, they're so pretty

Quote:
Yeah but the oprington roos are really noisy too right. I had some for a while bvut I had some many rooster I kinda blocked out all their noise.

Im with you pid, i've got to find something quiet. I want cochins too. No one has really commented on them. Lets keep in touch and i'll be researching. Let me know if you find out more.

Elizabeth

My RIR is unbelievably vocal. Not to say anything bad, but she talks a lot. I also live in the city, and I'm sure she doesn't bother the neighbors. We're not allowed roos, b/c I bet they WOULD bother the neighbors! My red star is the sweetest of them all. Only quiet coos from her.

Back
Top Bottom