city chicken breeds need help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pidgey104, Nov 30, 2008.

1. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I need to know which breed is the quietest breed? I still have all my chickens at the farm but I live in town now and was wondering which breed whould be best for in town. They need not to be flighty. Is there a roo that don't crow much or is a quiet crower? I thought about bantam cochins. I have never had any of these before. Whats your advise?

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    My silkie is extremely quiet. I also have barrd rock and rhode island red, and an easter egger, they only bawk when they've laid an egg, occasional squabbles, but not too loud, I do not have roosters.

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Oh my word, our barred rocks and our NH reds do NOT shut up. Lovable, good layers, but SO loud! Our Orpingtons are prob quietest. Beautiful and well-behaved. Very proper ladies,really. Check my post on Sussex, which is who I love the most today.

4. Tamidon

Tamidon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Massachusetts
    we got Australorps because they were supposedly really quiet and so far they are. They just started laying this week. The only time you can hear them is in the morning as they push and shove to get out of the coop and into the run. Also, they're so pretty

5. laxrick

laxrick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    Princess Anne, MD
    If you're looking for pets, Serama roosters have a quiet crow.

6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Quote:Yeah but the oprington roos are really noisy too right. I had some for a while bvut I had some many rooster I kinda blocked out all their noise.

7. sc-chick617

sc-chick617 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2008
    Orangeburg, SC
    Im with you pid, i've got to find something quiet. I want cochins too. No one has really commented on them. Lets keep in touch and i'll be researching. Let me know if you find out more.

Elizabeth

8. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Quote:Okay sounds good. Ive never had cochins before. allways liked them though.

9. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    My cochin girls are very quiet. I had a banty cochin roo and he was relatively quiet. I say go with cochins they are very sweet.

10. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    My RIR is unbelievably vocal. Not to say anything bad, but she talks a lot. I also live in the city, and I'm sure she doesn't bother the neighbors. We're not allowed roos, b/c I bet they WOULD bother the neighbors! My red star is the sweetest of them all. Only quiet coos from her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by