City chickens, how many is too many?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 100chihuahuas, Apr 8, 2009.

1. 100chihuahuas

100chihuahuas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Soon, I am moving to Minnesota, and will be living with my grandma and going to the U of M! I can't bring my flock with me, but I want to start another.
    I checked out regulations. Unlimited chickens are allowed in the Minneapolis area(or just unspecified #), as long as 80% or your neighbors in a 100-foot radius agree that it is O.K.

My concern is noise. Right now, I only have a handful of hens and no rooster, and I only occasionally hear little clucks. Its pretty quiet!
    However, I want to up this number to perhaps 25 hens.

Would a flock of 25 hens be too loud? I would be living in a pretty quiet suburb, on perhaps a three-acre lot. Neighbors flank two sides of the property, nobody in the back, and a street to the front.

What do you think is the largest amount of hens possible whilst keeping the noise to a minimum?

Thank you!

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Are you sure you'd have 3 acres? That's a ginormous lot for in the city! There's no reason you couldn't support 25 in that, but you'd want to secure the lot exactly the same way you would in a rural area.

I have a 9200 sq. ft. lot, and the birds are in a backyard roughly 8000 of that, but I only have 6 BR out there now, and while they aren't loud, they have done some damage to the ornamentals and the grass- and I have what's considered a sizeable lot in the middle of town. I'll be adding the 5 EE's, pair of banty Cochins, 2 Buttercups and Polish to the mix when they're big enough.

I'm going to have to keep them in their pen when I'm not able to supervise them during Spring or they'll clobber all of my plants as they come out in the beginning of the growing season.

Noise-wise, the egg song will be sung as many times as you have birds to lay, and that's the largest, loudest noise they make. I can hear the birds of the guy 3 doors (500') down. It's not quiet, and from a distance sounds like someone peeling a cat.

I think I'd be really sure about how far away the coop and birds (free range?) will be from the neighbors' homes. If they'll spread out, but the coop will be central in the lot, the noise may be minimal.

What an opportunity, though! Congrats, and good luck!!

3. 100chihuahuas

Apr 7, 2009
    Noise-wise, the egg song will be sung as many times as you have birds to lay, and that's the largest, loudest noise they make. I can hear the birds of the guy 3 doors (500') down. It's not quiet, and from a distance sounds like someone peeling a cat.

Haha! I wonder if the neigbors will turn a blind eye to the sqwaks if i bribe them with some free dozens.

Hmm, it may just be a two acre lot. It is rectangle-shaped but it is still amazingly big. It isn't in the heart of Minneapolis, but in the suburbs some minutes away. They will be free range, but limitedly so! Can't have then causing a ruckus in my neighbor's yards [​IMG]

Anyone ever had any neighbor/noise problems?​

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Um, "unlimited chickens" in the city? Sounds questionable.

I'd go to the city and *double check* regulations before spending any money on a coop or chicks. Methinks you may have been given bad information. I'm in the burbs and our rules out here are 5 chickens per 1/2 acre, no roosters. And you have to have approval of your neighbors. Most cities also require an inspection of your coop. Our lots are pretty big and yet probably 80% are under 1.5 acres.

I have zero neighbor problems, but I also have zero noise/smell problems. But my neighbors are all on board. You *might* be challenged to get city neighborhood approval for 25 free ranging chickens...

And even if you could have 25 in the city, why would you?

JMO - feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.

5. 100chihuahuas

Apr 7, 2009
    I was getting a lot of different information for chicken regulations in Minneapolis.
    I have heard that up to 3 is ok, that up to 6 is ok with 70% neighbor compliance, and that unlimited is ok with 80% compliance.

Thank I went to http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/animal-control/Permits.asp , even called the city to get someone to clarify.
    The only answers I got were that I needed approval from neighbors, needed to buy a $3 permit per bird, and needed an inspection done.

They couldn't even tell me! oh, what a mystery.

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    80% is 8 out of 10.

Think for a minute - these are going to be the same people that can't normally agree on anything. If you get 80%, just one chicken can blow that shaky alliance.

I suggest you cool your ardor and aim low for right now.

7. 100chihuahuas

Apr 7, 2009
    D'oh!

Ok, I'm not going to Minneapolis. It is a small, totally seperate city outside of Minneapolis called Brooklyn Park. I have been trying to find info, but I can't seem to find any regulations.

Where should I look for regulations? Perhaps the lack of info. means thats it is ok lol.

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Better call the code office in Brooklyn Park. I looked on municode.com - no Brooklyn Park.

9. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Brooklyn Park is a 1st ring suburb of Minneapolis. It is not a small, totally separate city. I would seriously question the information you have been given. I might even question that you would be allowed to free range your chickens without a fenced back yard. And don't think that the "lack of information" means that you have carte blanc -- you're not looking in the right places. As the saying goes, ignorance is not a defense. Most city folk won't take too kindly to neighbor chickens crowing at the break of dawn or pooping on their back patios and won't hesitate to remove them for you or worse yet, call the police... and then where will you be?

Brooklyn Park will have their own set of permits and codes for animal restrictions. Call City Hall and get forwarded from there.

Good luck! And congrats on your acceptance to the U.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I agree with the other posts. Good luck with whatever happens and please post. Am interested in what happens and how you make out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by