City Codes Online - Link

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Joz, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    http://www.municode.com/Library/Library.aspx

They've
    not got EVERY little town and burg and hamlet, but I think this is growing fairly quickly.

You can open up your code or zoning ordinances, and search for fowl, poultry, or livestock. You may need to read it several times and get creative to interpret things properly. I know that my own local zoning rules don't mention specifically that I can or cannot have chickens, but they state that more than 4 dogs, cats, or poultry constitute a kennel, and I'm not allowed to have a kennel, therefore I've interpreted that I can have 4 chickens per address (I've got a duplex).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. Hen_House_Rocks!

Hen_House_Rocks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Joz, that is a very helpful link, thank you!

4. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Wow I just read my city codes on poultry (Fowl) and other animals! I thought I was only allowed to keep 12 but I could not find anything about a limit. [​IMG] The only thing I could find that had anything to do with chickens was a law that stated It is unlawful to deliver less than 5 live fowl that are under the age of 8 weeks.

I did not see a limit! [​IMG] I probably missed something but I read it over a couple times and searched for poultry/fowl.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Many, not all, codes address issues that are not specifically covered in the code by saying (in the rules of consrtuction section, which is usually in the beginning sections) that any use that is not specifically allowed is disallowed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by