City Council Chicken Ordinance - Frustrated

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Nov 16, 2009.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    9 Months ago I first asked my City Council to lift the ban on chickens in my town (with restrictions of course). In August, the councilwoman who proposed the new ordinance (allowing chickens) withdrew the ordinance, calling it unworkable in present form. At that time she also presented a new, revised ordinance, but refused to officially present it to council, saying that council was too busy to bother with chickens. I went to the city council meeting today, to ask council to put the issue back on the agenda at the next meeting. They refused, saying they are still too busy. The councilwoman who originally proposed the ordinance said that she feels the issue would best be decided by the community, rather than council. The soonest I could get it on the ballot is May. I don't know why she couldn't have told me back in August that this should be a community issue, atleast then I would have been able to put it on the November ballot. [​IMG]

This is so frustrating. I am thinking about just getting quail instead. I could probably argue that they were "pocket pets" (which are permitted) rather than "poultry" (not permitted)

**I believe this is placed in the right forum, as it is more a vent than a dicussion about changing the law/ordinance**

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh ANdy!!! [​IMG]

I have been so afraid to ask you about this because I had a bad gut feeling [​IMG] Oh I just want to put my boot directly up this woman's.... [​IMG]

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Get the quail while you continue to push for the chicken plan.

4. TillinWithMyPeeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:The woman is nice enough, but council moves so slow. I don't blame her specifically as much as council as a whole.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Good luck with it all and kudos for trying to change the rules to something reasonable. I'm not sure I would have the same determination.

6. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Here, we would call this the run around...

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    So sorry! [​IMG] The stinkers!

8. TillinWithMyPeeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks for the support. I will probably try to get it on the ballot in May, and I will probably get some quail in February or March.

How many quail eggs do you think equals a chicken egg?

9. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Depends on the quail. My jumbo coturnix eggs are about a 3:1 ratio for a regular size chicken egg. Regular size coturnix eggs are about 5:1 ratio. Button quail eggs are like jelly beans. [​IMG]

Good luck! 9 months isn't too bad! I go infront of my town council on Monday to propose a lift on the ban. We'll see how it goes. Keep up the good fight!

10. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I don't guess the council was too busy when they took away your rights to have chickens.
    Your council member should get a surprise of learning that someone wrote a very well worded letter to the editor of your local paper supporting lifting of the chicken ban, with several good reasons to keep chickens but that the council is 'too busy' to put it on the agenda. Maybe they won't be too busy for election year.
    I'm so sorry to hear these things from some of you. I hope I never have to face this kind of BS. If I do, they going to face a bit from me as well. How in the world do people want to outlaw chickens is beyond me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by