1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

City demanded on my property !!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sierra pachie bars, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    The last couple notices on our door I felt was a mistake. The city said they got a neighbors complaint that we are not picking up our horse poop.
    Since I clean my stalls every day and sometimes several times a day i just thought oh mistake or perhaps just they are going door to door ? But nope. City shows up at my door with two men saying they got a complaint again and needed on my property !! They then go in my yard and go thru my trash cans, all over my yard taking pictures. I felt 100% violated ! I asked then how long was this going to go on ? They told me as long as they get complaints. I then asked to know who the person was. They said they will not tell me.
    They took photos of my horses , their pens, omg everything. I even told them I felt completely violated.
    I think my mare only had on poop pile in her stall because again I clean often. I called a neighbor who them took them to see her stalls. Because hell they seemed to be going around wanting to see everyones properties.
    I am just so unhappy right now... I have nothing to hide but it is just someone i don't know telling me they want in my yard and the not do what they did. Stinks

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I would not have let them on my property.
    And taking pictures?? OMG... that is a baaad idea to let happen.

3. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    I didn't feel like I had a choice , they told me to let them on the property. I never told them they could take pictures. They just did! But yea bad idea. They went around the block like they were looking to find something.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    Bless your heart. Can you afford to lawyer up? Maybe talk to one about what's going on, and finding out if it is even legal. I would make sure it is a lawyer that doesn't like the city council.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Gah!!! That would creep me out!
    Good luck, and keep us informed! [​IMG]

6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Quote:Unless they have a search warrant and show up with a cop, you legally don't have to let them on your property. Next time they show up, tell them to come back with a sheriff and a warrant and slam the door in their faces.

They are conducting an illegal search. If they take pictures, that is a violation of your privacy. Take pictures of them taking pictures of your stuff. Make sure you get their faces. If they take anything, it's an illegal search and seizure.

Call your local law school/legal college and see if you can hire a legal intern if you're in a position where you cannot afford a real lawyer.

ETA: The reason you feel violated is because you have been.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. 4Hchickenproject

4Hchickenproject Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    I'm pretty sure they would have needed a warrant to go onto your property and to take pictures, if you had told them no. But they did what is very often done--intimidated and frightened you, a citizen who doesn't know the details of the law--and walked right in and did what they wanted to do. At my house, if they showed up I would tell them to leave and not come back unless they had a warrant that STATES exactly what they are looking for. Now, if you're in city limits, your city may have some codes that differ from state law, but I still think they need a warrant to get on your property. If possible, you should definitely contact an attorney. I think the office visit fee would be worth the expense to find out your rights (as well as theirs), and maybe pay a retainer to have the attorney just a phonecall away if they show back up. It would be nice to be able to say, "Wait right here, I'll get my attorney out here to meet with you."

8. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    Well i have nothing to hide. My stalls were clean so I hope they felt stupid.
    My husband said same thing I shouldn't have let them. But they were going to do it anyways. You can see my stalls if you walk to the side of my property which isn't fenced.
    I don't know at this point what. Are going to do. I let them know I was unhappy. How many times can someone complain about something that isn't true. ? I talked to someone else today several houses over city did same thing to her. Same person complained on them and they went onto her property too.

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Are you sure they're city officials? Did they have ID? What department are they from? I would call up your city's administration office and give them a piece of your mind. Get together with your neighbors, too. This isn't right. I don't know if you have any bulldog reporters around there, but if you do, see if you can get them involved, too. This is very strange and I smell something funny.

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Did they show you any sort of credentials? Otherwise I'd be real weary about their actual intentions. I'd be on the phone calling the city to find out who they sent and why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by