City Duck Rescue

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thumper650, Jun 23, 2019.

1. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    Last night a friend texted us about a lone duckling that had fallen out of a nest in a building. They contacted us because we're duck guys, and they met our ducks before. We happened to be in the same city at a cookout. duckling.jpeg The duckling was trying to snuggle with our friend, and kept chasing her. (probably to stay warm) I told her to reunite him with the mom if possible, but they could not get in the building to put him back, and mom had left.
    I borrowed my brother's car (and I was the only one who hadn't had a drink yet) and my husband and I went to see if we could help.
    By the time we arrived, there was another one, who fell and landed on rocks, and clearly had an injured leg. Not wanting to alarm anyone (our friend had her kids with her) I told them it was possibly sprained and he might be ok, but I think he probably had internal injuries. Unfortunately he passed some time early this AM. His brother/sis is doing well, eating and moving around. We have him in a tote with pine shavings, and our cozy coop heater above part of it to keep him warm. We added a stuffed duck after we removed his brother, and I'm going to get a mirror when the stores open.
    We are aware it's not legal to keep him, so we are finding a rehabber, which may be difficult since it's Sunday. If there's any other suggestions people have for this little guy/girl let me know. Despite owning ducks, we're still little stressed out by this!

2. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    Happy ending to report! The little guy is going to a wildlife rehab tomorrow. They said they’ll most likely put him/her with another single duck. We will miss him/her dearly, but we know it’s for the best.
    48C89A6D-13E6-4F8B-BCD5-2927100723F6.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. I love my ducks34

I love my ducks34 Chirping

Apr 6, 2019
    Good for u!!! I always love it when people are able to do things like that! A bout a month ago I hatched some killdeer eggs that were rescued from the front of a tractor. Unfortunately, I didn't know what to feed them or when. I also knew it was illegal, but I didn't know a rehaber. So I snuck them under a brand new killdeer nester and... She adopted them! :D it was weird... I didn't know they actually did that!

DuckyDonna likes this.
  4. superduckrescue

superduckrescue Chirping

Mar 26, 2019
    Austin, TX
    I am pretty sure that is a rouen duck most rescues don't take domestic make sure they do not put him in the wild when he is older

DuckyDonna likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Looks like a Mallard to me. Congrats @thumper650 for finding someone to take the duckling who know how to raise it so it can be released.

DuckyDonna and thumper650 like this.
  6. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    I'll make sure they have my info, in the case that he can't be released, I'd take him back.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Songster

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Rounen ducklings have two complete eye stripes.Looks to be a mallard

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    Cool, I didn’t know there was a difference!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  9. superduckrescue

superduckrescue Chirping

Mar 26, 2019
    Austin, TX
    I've just had some (Rouen) that had a broken second one like that before but I don't raise them so I'm no expert

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Songster

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    But since rouens are a domesticated breed its pretty unlikley they would be in a wild duck nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: