City Dweller- is my Neighborhood too noisey for Chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tricia1989, Jan 31, 2013.

1. tricia1989

tricia1989 New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    I live in the middle of Kansas City, and I'm considering starting a little flock of ladies in my back yard. Our next door neighbors have 3 dogs who are very enthusiastic about barking and making a general fuss on their side of the fence, really there's a lot of dog barking in our neighborhood in general, and our yard backs up to a relatively busy street with frequent police-siren activity. We have a full privacy fence so that helps a little. Mostly I think our situation has great chicken paradise potential, I just don't know how noise-sensitive chickens are. I don't want to go to all the trouble only to find out they can't sleep and are nervous wrecks. I'd feel awful.

Obviously, I am still in info-gathering mode, and a total newbie, so I have no idea if this matters but I've been considering Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. Only ladies, as roosters are not allowed in town by ordinance.

Let me know If this question is better suited to a different area of the forum. I am almost as new to forums as chickens.

Thanks!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They'll probably be fine. My chickens have to listen to my neighbors 4 dogs bark their heads off during the day and at night. I also get the occasional siren from an ambulance or police car, gun shots (alot of gun shots, my neighbors are freaks), kids screaming, my sons remote control cars. They aren't bothered by it. Your birds will adapt, it'll probably wig them out at first, but eventually it'll be as normal to them as it is to you. Good luck and :welcome
    Nikki

3. DerbyGirlGoneChicken

DerbyGirlGoneChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Hello Tricia. I'm in the KC area too! I am in the info gathering stage as well but my neighbors have kept chickens for about 3 years now and we live right next to a double train track. (You know those KC trains!)They do just fine with the noise so you should be fine. Feel fee to PM me if you have any comments or questions for a fellow Kansas Citian. :)

4. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in Henderson nevada suberd of Las Vegas I am 1 block away from major hospital one way and the other way police station and jail I have a majior intersection litteraly 1 block away all day long we hear traffic sirens flight for life helacopters police car I dont hear it anymroe and it has not bothered the chicken either. there are close to alley in back yard and every yard has at least 1 dog that barks my chicken have 3 barking dogs and thost dont bother them either so yours should be fine

5. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    I have chickens in one yard and 3 Jack Russell Terriers in another yard and 10 horses in the pasture. The neighbors have a shooting range in their back pasture and some days it sounds like a war in a 3rd World country out here. My chickens aren't phased by much unless it comes right into their yard. In fact, I think they are noisier than most of the other animals and activities all combined, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by