City folks want a goat and need advice!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TN Henny Penny, Apr 6, 2011.

1. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    We're city folks that have never had any kind of animals except for our dogs, a couple of cockatiels and some aquariums. We've successfully raised our chicks from day old to now 10 wk old pullets and are quite pleased that they are all healthy. Now, the next item - goats! We know nothing would love some advice!

a short list of tips for keeping them healthy,
    advice on breeds,
    predator protection,
    containment,
    things we don't even know enough to ask about?[​IMG]

At this point, we might want goats milk down the road, but for the immediate would just like them to keep us company and clear out under the trees at the back of the property. We've toured a goat dairy and know that if you want milk, you want to take care with their feed, so brush likely wouldn't be a good diet for tasty milk?

Thanks for reading my post and also for any ideas or input!

2. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Hi!!! Dairy goats wouldn't be a good choice for the woods. They can scratch their udder on the briars And stumps and cause infection.we have tried it....however....Pygmy goats are virtually indestructable...those lil. Buggers can go through anything and make great pets. We raise Boers and I wouldn't suggest them to anyone that is new to goats. They are very hard to care for.
    Nigerian dwarfa and pygmys have Been used for milk production and brush...so they would.probably be the best bet. A sturdy electric fence and a decent place to get out of the weather is sufficient...feel free to ask anymore questions. Ill be glad to help

3. TN Henny Penny

Jan 22, 2011
    Thank you so much! I'm thinking that dairy goats would be a year or more away and should be in a much more controlled environment. Questions? I've got tons and thanks for the offer to air them!

What about their overall care? Hoof trimming necessary? We've never owned anything with hooves so that would be another learning experience in itself. What to supplement brush and some pasture for feed? We're thinking we would put them in a rough stall for overnight to protect from coyotes or roaming dogs?

4. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    On Pygmy goats. Hoof trimming is minimal.on other breeds-almost every other month. You could put them away at night as you said. That would take care of the stray dogs...etc. if there is plenty green forage;they wont need supplemental feeding; but in winter months they will need hay and grain. As far as shots there is a cdt shot; but you don't have to give it. We rarely do. They will also need deworming every other month or so with positive pellet or safeguard. We use cydectin an valbazen on our Boers; but they aren't as Hardy as other breeds. A mild wormer would be fine for Pygmy.Nigerian goats. When you do get dairy goats you will need to use something stronger if you have a lot of them. The more space you have; the less suceptable they are to be wormy.

5. TN Henny Penny

Jan 22, 2011
    Thanks again for the generous offering of info! Sounds like we might be able to handle this! Love your website by the way and the beautiful chickens. We're not that far away from N. Carolina - about 45 miles west of Knoxville....when we're ready for more variety in our chickens, we'll have to check out your site!

6. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    the perfect thread for what ive been wondering about and looking for! i live in an appartment in the city (if you can really stretch and use quotes on the term "city"), in east TN, and been looking for more local people to tell me about goats, as ive been given and now put vet money into an apparantly perfectly healthy and strong, three or four month old goat now, said by some to be nigerian dwarf. it is a billy, and lutistic, looking albino except for eyes. wondering if anyone can explain how to tell if it is nigerian dwarf. it isnt growing seemingly but thickening and getting heavier with horns growing in, and maybe twice size of a jack russel terrier. if wanted mate or friend and wanted to settle, would pygmy goat make good mate if got doe for my buck, or is it maybe advisable to then just get another buck as friend and make them both withers, if will keep them tame/er???

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE BY THE WAY!!! its just so odd to be given a goat thought was day to week, as was weight of loaf o bread, then told its just a dwarf, or mini, and manager cool enough to let me have them. as showed how trained it was already after just got and worked with, as told could just treat like dog, and house train etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by