city girl has a well water question!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by watchdogps, Nov 28, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    We moved into our house in the country this summer, and our well water is stinky. Its not stinky out of the tap, but when its run a long time like for showers or laundry, the house smells. Its worse with hot. I know what iron smells like, its not that, and it isn't rotteneggs sulfur smell. But its kinda fart-y. Not overwhelming, but noticeable. Problem? Not? Suggestions?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My grandpa's house was like that...stinky!

Have you had the water tested?

3. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:No, I don't know what to test for. I lived in a rental where the well had gone bad a few yrs ago, and that water STUNK and would come out black. When I was trying to get that resolved, the only things the well cos would test for was iron and minerals, or something. Not very helpful. Is there something I can ask them to check?

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I have well water - a few things to check - one is have the water tested and see if the well needs to be shocked. The water smelling like that is actually a GOOD thing.
    Shocking the well means adding bleach to it. Also, try using a water softener and also, for laundry, use Borax - it will make the clothes smell fresher.
    Hope that helps

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Sounds like possibly sulfur water. Take your water sample to most any state university lab, they'll get you a detailed list of everything in your water. Once you know what's causing it, you'll know what to filter for.

6. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Quote:We had to shock ours when we did new water lines. And occasionally, I can
    still smell that smell. (Thank you Lynard Skynard)
    But for the most part, we are good. Weather change
    affects also.

7. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    Maybe it needs a little sanitizing? We have two wells on our place and about four times a year we dump about a pint of bleach in the well. It keeps any little microscopic boogers away. We give the well a couple of days rest to give the clorine taste time to go.

8. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    Ours did that when a snake fell in the well. We used Clorox until the nasty thing stopped stinking.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Grandpa had a kitten that fell in the well. He could not get it out.

They had the water tested and it consisted a bit of bacteria which they poured bleach down in the well. Then they retested again and it was fine after a couple of treatments. His water was so hard, that when his clothes were washed, it would get some kind of "funk" smell in it. When it rains, it was awful.

They put additional concrete foundation of seven inches thick next to the original foundation and seven inches thick INSIDE basement wall. And overhang on his house. It finally stopped the smell after a while but once in a great while, you would smell very faintly of that "vegetation rot" smell.

10. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Why is it good?
    My laundry doesn't smell, actually the clothes smell great, esp when I can line dry them. But the house smells when I do the laundry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by