city girl has a well water question!

Sounds like Manganese. Most new water softeners when properly calibrated will remove it but you'll still have a faint odor. Pour some in an aluminum cup. Drop a new penny (they are copper plated zinc) in and let it sit a few days, it will turn blackish if Manganese.

Isn't harmful, just annoying. It's naturally occuring in lime-rich aquifers. You should get your water tested. If you just bought the house, you maybe did and don't even know it. Ask your realtor. In our state, it's the law that well water test within state guidelines before a home can be sold. Our test also included mineral concentrations in the water. You may just be getting used to real water that doesn't reek of chlorine and fluoride.

Last edited:
Call your county health dept. about testing your well. They should be able to do it at a good price, and should have a few different test to choose from. If not thru the county, call your local university. They may have a project going on and you can get the test done low cost or free.

Maye

I shock my well once a year. 4 gal. of bleach down the well .run thru all area of the house , till you smell the bleach. Let set a few hours , then run all fixture , don't forget the washer. Till the bleach smell is gone.

Big mistake i made, i forgot to flush the washer......my first load was all my blacks......bad idea. Now even after flush I the lines , my first loads are WHITE.

Stop the smell. cleans all the pipes......then if you want have it tested if you want, other than the sufer water smell, water smelling is a bad thing.

Shocking yearly cleans well case ,pump, and all pipes.

really very easy to do.

you city water ,they added chlorine to the water for the same reason , you need to bleach(chlorine) your well. wouldn't even hurt to do it two time a year.

What is all that bleach doing to the natural fona in your septic tanks and drain field?

We have a sulfur ordor in our water, we use a carbon house filter and it helps cut down on the smell. We only bleached when the well was first drilled, not since.

Quote:
Wells are supposed to be sealed so nothing can get into the water from above

I saw a show on TV where a family bought a house, unknowing that the home was know as THE SNAKE HOUSE. During certain times of the year garder snakes, hundreds of them, used the underside of their home as a communal nest/ hibernation spot. Certain times of the year the people saw snakes in the yard daily,..... lots of them... Their water smelled funny, come to find out all the snake waste was washing into their well......
sickbyc.gif
There was no way to get rid of them as the snakes had been coming there for generations... they had to abandon the home.

Back
Top Bottom