1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

City girl moved to the country and got chicken's.. HELP

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hellokelsey, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Hellokelsey

Hellokelsey New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Hi everyone. I'm Kelsey. :)
    So today I got 4 Silkie bantams and 2x pekin bantams.

I did up their WHOLE run & coop. Pegged the chicken wire into the ground so no fox could come and steal my babies.
    I lock them up in their coop for 2 hours, come home and one of my pekin girls have just disappeared! No sign of a fox, ie no blood, loose feathers, signs of stuggle.. Absolutely nothing! I don't understand :'( this makes me so so sad. My poor chook is gone. This is the first time I've ever had chickens and I'm so scared of the foxes getting to them.

The chicken wire is 6 ft high, the coop is like a xxlarge mental kennel with a perch, 2 wooden nest boxes and the flooring is wood shavings.

I don't know what to do. :( I feel so horrible. She's just vanished!!

2. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    If they were in the wired kennel coop, a coon can reach in and pull them out. How tight is the wire? If in the run sounds like a hawk or other raptor since you can't find any signs. Might want to drape fencing over top of your run also. If it continues, try a trail camera to find the culprit.
    Best to you and chooks

3. txnative

txnative Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    Kempner, Texas
    Chicken wire is not strong enough, or tightly woven enough, to keep most predators out, unfortunately. Something like hardware cloth is a much better option.

4. [​IMG] Sorry about your chickens. You tried your best. It's always sad loosing a chicken. :( Try using a old shed for a coop, they are pretty predator safe!

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Welcome Hellokelsey.

A fox intent on a pressed duck dinner can climb or even jump a fence such as yours. Whether he could do so with a bantam duck wedged in his face is another matter.

Is it Summer or Winter were you live?

What I am really asking is why your focus on foxes if you live in North America where we enjoy such a wide range of poultry predators?

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I was wondering about location, too. As stated above, there are more than just foxes that we as poultry owners need to worry about. A mink will carry a chicken off, as will a bird of prey if the run is not covered. Raccoons, weasels, coyote just to name a few. Hellokelsey you really do need to replace or reinforce your chicken wire with welded wire or hardware cloth. A determined predator will tear right through your chicken wire.

7. Hellokelsey

Hellokelsey New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Hi guys. I'm in Australia, Victoria. So we only really have foxes and cats after out chickens. It is summer at the moment.

8. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

No birds of prey there...really??

9. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Just googled it, there are actually there are 24 raptor species & 10 owl species in Australia. Don't know how many of those are in your neck of the woods. One of em is probably your culprit.

10. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    This summer, I had a neighbor's cat run off with quite a few baby chicks before I figured out what was happening. I didn't see any signs, no feathers, etc. And, the others are right, chicken wire is made to keep chickens out of things, like gardens, not keep predators away from chickens. You need a stronger fencing material, cattle wire or welded wire.

Can you keep the birds inside the coop for a while?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by