City Girl needing all the help I can get!

Quote:
I'm sorry Diva, I didnt mean it that way. I am really a sucker for animals and I know I will end up falling in love with my chickens even though at this point I am thinking "Its a chicken, how can you love a chicken??" (because I've never really been around them so I have no clue) but let me tell you, I fell in love with a fish (yes a FISH!! They have personalities too, who would have ever thought that!? lol) He was a red bellied Pacu and those are an *ugly* fish but he was my baby! He died during Ike
sad.png
He is missed. He use to swim to the side of the tank when I walked into the room to "greet" me, he was so sweet! We had him for 7yrs and he had many more years ahead of him still.

I really just meant that looks didnt matter to me, I didnt want to start out with the prettiest chickens just because they were pretty.

Well if you want layers and since you are looking for good sized eggs and no roos I would go with a hatchery that will sex thm. Then I would get 2 or 3 of any breed that looks pretty to you. I would also throw in a silkie or 2 for fun.
smile.png

heres a good list I would think would bring joy and lots of food:

Leghorn
RIR
EE
Wynadotte
Barred Rock
Marans

I just choose these cause you will get some nice colored eggs and good healthy hearty chooks.

whatever you choose most all are awesome and all will give eggs just some more than others.
smile.png

I'm a city girl myself and I have a flock of 10 (see breeds below in my sig). I'm averaging 7-9 eggs a day w/10 girls. They are all about 6mos old and I plan on adding light come the winter months, so I can receive some eggs in the winter time.

Next spring, I plan on getting about another 10 (please believe everyone when they say chickens are addictive...they so are!
lol.png
) I would like to sell some eggs next year. This year, I have been giving away some, as I don't have enough to sell yet. I adore my red-sex links and Barred Rocks. Both breeds are super-sweet, lay gigantor eggs & lay everyday. I'm sure they'll slow down tho, come winter. Next Spring when I add chickens, those two breeds will be some of the breeds I add. I received all of my chicks from Ideal and have been very happy with them
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

My vote is in for some barred rocks. All mine have not only been prolific layers but they have always been friendly and just plain nice hearty birds.
You could get a layer mix from a hatchery and then you could have different breeds that are specifically bred for production. I like variety! Variety is good because some lay like crazy over the warmer months but slow down laying over the shorter days of winter. Others may be not as prolific over the summer but may make up for it by being steady layers. Each chicken is a little different. It's like building your retirement portfolio....diversify!
And WELCOME to BYC!!!

Thanks for the suggestions, I see there are a few different suggestions, would it be ok to get a mix of these to start out or do I want to go with 1 breed?

Here's the breeds you've suggested (for my own reference lol)
black sex links
Barred Rocks
red stars
Turkens

Adding this to my list, my internet was down while I was waiting to post this and 3 others replied so here's the others
Leghorn
RIR
EE
Wynadotte
Barred Rock
Marans

I do not plan to hatch eggs so no rooster is needed (I cant have a rooster legally anyway although my sisters neighbor does so they really wouldnt care) but I want to be able to care for my chickens before I even think of hatching! I probably will never hatch

Last edited:
no a mix is great there is no reason to be stuck with one breed. My advise is go to a Hatchery that has pics (not drawings) and look until you find ones that suit your taste. Each one will come with a description but most all LF are good layers. No roo needed just order pullets only and not a straight run (mix of both boys and girls) All on the list are good chickens so you will be pleased with whatever you get. My only thing I would say is make sure you get some Easter Eggers (usually advertised as Ameraucanas) so you have some fun colored eggs.

Also get them all vacinated for Mareks disease this will make your life easier perhaps and certainly wont hurt.

heve fun you will enjoy it
smile.png
and if you order them now you will have eggs by spring next year.
smile.png

Quote:
You can do just fine with a mix of breeds, provided they start out the same age or close to it. I would also add Buff Orpingtons to your list of breeds under consideration. They're friendly, hardy, and reliably lay in the winter.

A lot of people here have had good experiences ordering from Ideal, which is Texas-based and has an extensive variety to choose from so you may want to go with them. You can read their order policy here.

I would suggest Red Sex Links. They're easy to raise, and productive layers. If all you want are eggs, that's what they're for!

If you're serious about wanting a dozen eggs a day, get 18. If that's a bit of an exageration, start with a dozen, and get more if you decide you need more eggs.

RSLs will lay about an egg a day, with a day off here and there, and some seasonal slacking, so with 18 hens, you will get more than a dozen eggs on many days.

These don't tend to get broody, meaning that maternal instinct to sit on eggs instead of getting on with laying more won't likely set in. This is good if all you want is eggs ... though of course not so good if you were wanting to have a hen hatching chicks.

You can also get only hens with red sex links, as they can be feather sexed at a young age. With vent sexed breeds, you tend to get 5%-10% roosters when buying hens.

Red sex links we ordered chicks had to get 25 min. for order and they sent extras we gave 10 away at 17 weeks we have 17 hens they lay very well average around 15 eggs a day since december 08 we will be getting more of this breed

Dont think you need to worry about the winter, but more about which breeds do well in your summer heat. Just stay away from the very larger breeds and feather leg ones.

Think sexlink would be your best bet, golden comets,blacksexlinks,or red stars. The red star would be best as they use leghorns.

Production whites (leghorn) best white egg layers, on least amount of feed, never go broodie. Only trouble they are REAL flighty.

Back
Top Bottom