City girl to TN Mom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CityMomof2, Sep 16, 2011.

1. CityMomof2

CityMomof2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Just moved to TN in May to a small farm on Loudon Lake. Since moving from IL to our new home our two boys have fallen in love with the farm life. I have never owned any odd pets and up to now I only had a cat...

The newest additions to our little farm will be some chicks and maybe a pair of ducks. Never owned any birds, so I found this site and hopefully it will get us going in the right direction.

So, a bit about us. We, my husband and I (Elizabeth, Liz for short), have two wonderful little boys, Matt (7) and Reed (10). We plan to expand our family in the near future! I am working a small part time job, but I am home bored a lot...

Currently, we have two pet dwarf goats, two new redbone puppies we adopted from the shelter one for each boy, we also have added a couple rabbits to start my husband off to our new farm. We also have a duck that thinks he lives here, came with the farm I guess.

We are on the search for chicken and duck breeds that are friendly and I would love the idea big fresh eggs for our growing family!

So any info or help would be great! Also anyone local, we are new to the area and beside husbands family, we know no one so please feel free to say hi!

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    Believe me, once you get some more animals on that farm, you wont be bored or lacking for something to do!
    The best advice I can give is to just start going through the Index & READ! That's what I did before I started getting the animals I have--and I still research & ask questions now & again.
    As for finding someone local to you, go to the WHERE AM I? WHERE ARE YOU! section & do a search for your state or area.
    good luck!

3. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Welcome, Liz - this is a great place to be. I just joined today as well - got my first chicks 4 weeks ago so have been trolling the site. The search function rocks! You'll be able to find answers for just about all your questions in past forum posts.

It's true, what TigerLilly says about not being bored once you get your farm up and going. I only have an acre in rural San Diego county and find I'm going all day and still don't get everything done [​IMG] Good luck -

Amy

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. CityMomof2

CityMomof2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Thanks for the welcomes!

My wonderful husband just called he is bring the boys home two baby ducks! Robert is a deputy for the county and these little guys were surrendered at the shelter, he adopted them for the boys.

I have been looking into the chicken breeds and I have found a few breeds I like. Turkens, speckled sussex, welsummer, black jersey giants, bantam cochins and I am in love with little silkie chickens.

6. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Hi and welcome from one TN newbie to another!! I started with chickens because ever single one of my neighbors had them when we moved in to our house, so I really didn't want to be the odd man out, so to say LOL! We also had some "freerange" chickens that would come visit us everyday and I fell in love with them. [​IMG]

7. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Texas.

I have all kinds of ducks and geese, so I couldn't pick a breed.

For egg layers I love my Turkens.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Before you know it, you'll be so busy with farm animals you'll wonder what you did for fun before you got all of them [​IMG] Easter Eggers are a great breed for eggs & they're usually very friendly. And in ducks, Indian Runners & Khaki Campbells are both great egg laying breeds. Plus, their eggs are delicious in baked goods.
    Congrats on the two new ducklings [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So happy you joined. [​IMG]