City girl who moved to the country and is a new chickie mommy.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TWlovesoutdoors, Oct 22, 2017.

1. TWlovesoutdoors

TWlovesoutdoors In the Brooder

Oct 22, 2017
    Good Morning everyone!
    I've lived in Los Angeles all of my life (in the suburbs when I was younger but right smack in the middle of Hollywood for the last 14 years) and recently moved to the country a few months ago. I'm still in southern California but have way more space now with enough land to eventually homestead. I've been interested in raising chickens for a few years now and finally got my first set of chicks from the local feed store a coulple of days ago.

I have 6 chicks: 2 Buff Brahmas, 2 Black Jersey Giants, 1 California white and 1 White Japanese bantam.
    They're all doing great except for the Japanese who won't really eat much and I think I'll have to feed her with a dropper today. I don't know if it's because she's so much smaller than the others and is stressed out or if something is wrong with her but hopefully she'll make it, especially because she's the only one that is my son's pet and the rest are mine.

My husband bought our coop yesterday and I look forward to putting it together. We got the Producer's Pride Defender coop from Tractor Supply that has a 10 ft by 10 ft walk in run and an attached coop with 5 nesting boxes so we can add more chickens next year.

I got our chickens mostly for eggs but plan to try meat hens in a few years for more self sustainability. I also plan on getting a couple of goats in the coming years as well and growing lots of veggies and planting fruit trees now that we have ample space. In the city I was only able to do container gardens at home and had a plot in the local community garden which was wonderful at the time but still limiting.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the members here and enjoying my chickens!
    Thanks for having me!

Attached Files:

2. mesafox101

mesafox101 Chirping

Aug 30, 2017
    your chicks are sooo cute!!!!

3. N F C

N F C Poo happens, move on

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

It's nice to have you here, thanks for joining us!

Hopefully, your bantam will be ok. Since he's in with larger chicks, he might be getting crowded out of the food and water. Giving him additional nutrition with a dropper should help. They will all benefit by adding some Nutri-Drench to their waterer (it's available at farms stores such as TSC...Tractor Supply).

Best of luck to you!

4. nminusyplusm

nminusyplusm Crowing

Mar 29, 2017
    Deming, NM
    Welcome to BYC, fellow native Angeleno! I second the advice from NFC on Nutridrench and you could try tempting the Bantam with some scrambled egg or yogurt.

5. TWlovesoutdoors

Oct 22, 2017
    Thank you. I have added electrolytes to their water but probably need to get vitamins too. I gave them a little protein treat last night with some scrambled eggs but my little Japanese wouldn't take it. We'll see what happens today.
    Thanks!

6. BaronVonP

BaronVonP Chirping

Aug 11, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Hi! Welcome to BYC!
    Those chicks are adorable!

7. N F C

N F C Poo happens, move on

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Sometimes even doing all you can, they just don't thrive. Hoping that is not the case here and he snaps out of it. :fl

If you need or want some additional advice on how to help him, you can try posting here:
    Raising Baby Chicks
    Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures

Keep us posted on how he's doing.

8. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Along with the great advice, you can also add a second feeder away from the first one so that the little guy can get to the other one if the big ones are keeping it away

9. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Hello, greetings from So Cal!

Tyava, I would put a divider in that box, so the Japanese bantam is alone. It may be sick.

When I first got into raising chickens, I had a couple of chicks that would not eat much and within a couple of days they became very ill and died.Not knowing what to do, I took the surviving chicks to the Vet for a check up and he said it was contagious coccidiosis. They were all treated and survived.

Separate the chick and observe its behavior and eating and drinking. If it just stands around and does't show interest in food or water that is abundant and available, there is a problem with it.

Chicks should be running, playing, pecking, sleeping, eating and drinking. If you notice any loose stools or diarrhea, definitely need to treat it.

Are you feeding them medicated chick feed?

10. TWlovesoutdoors

Oct 22, 2017

Thank you for your response. I'm feeding them an organic chick starter that has probiotics and yeast culture but no antibiotics. When I pick her up she very chirpy and tries to get away and keeps her eyes open until I start petting her. Then she closes her eyes. When I dip her beak in the water with electrolytes she drinks it but sometimes bubbles come out of her beak. She timidly pecks at the feed sometimes but mostly she just likes to stay under the heat lamp and huddle under the other bigger chicks. All of my other chicks are very energetic and love the scrambled eggs that I gave them but the little Japanese had no interest.

rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: