City of Edmond - Violation of code

littlegirl223

Hatching
Nov 3, 2015
Edmond oklahoma
The city of Edmond has posted a warning on my home stating I am breaking zoning laws for having chickens in my backyard. I am zoned Single Family Residential and have reviewed the city ordinances many times. I live on over an acre of land with many trees and a six foot privacy fence. The city continuously quotes me City Ordinance 22.4.3 which is an ordinance for General Agriculturally zoned land. Even in this section, there isn't anything that states I am unable to have chickens. Title 7 refers to ordinances regarding animals and doesn't specify poultry is prohibited. Title 7, section 7.30.010, refers to pigeon keeping and associated regulations, but does not specify any restrictions to other "fowl" or "poultry". The only section I could find regarding chickens is under Title 22, section 4.2 which prohibits "INTENSIVE agriculture, including chicken and hog farming". I hardly find having six hens intensive farming much less farming. According to Title 7, I am allowed to own two pot belly pigs and a miniature horse, but get violation notices for chickens. Is there a section I may be missing or is the city trying to intimidate me by quoting irrelevant city ordinances and sending code enforcement out to my residence?
In order to have a fighting chance to go to court, the city must issue me a citation which according to them will be "in excess of $200 for each day the violation continues."
Anyone know of any specific city ordinances I am missing? Anyone want to chicken sit until I can go to court?

Hi; Sorry to hear this.
Here is a thread that may help you out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1036947/remarkable-a-topic-i-might-be-able-to-help-with

WISHING YOU BEST AND
welcome-byc.gif

I would call and demand them to tell me where it says I couldn't have chickens and refuse to pay any of the fees. Make sure to go to your cities website and print the ordinances, that way next time the person shows up to give you a citation you can show the person the ordinances, where it says nothing about chickens.

Please keep us updated. I live in Edmond and know several people with 'illegal' chickens and will be curious how this ends.

My experience has been that you try and stay under the radar, but if a neighbor or city employee outs you, there really is no defense.

Not sure how far you plan to take this, but if you do retain a lawyer, it would be interesting to have him subpoena the original complaint so you can see if it was indeed a neighbor who got this ball rolling.

My understanding is that if your land is not zones agricultural and you live within the Edmond city limits, chickens are a no-go.

Cooping them, in my experience, is the best way to keep the city away as neighbors are less likely to complain.

I just bought a house in Edmond, ok where do I find out if its within "city" limits and how its zoned? its waterloo and 35

You need to look at the section (usually at either the beginning or end) that explains language of construction. It is very common to have a statement that if something is not specifically allowed, it is disallowed.

Back
Top Bottom