City of Martinsville, VA -- Keeping of Poultry

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by hittjw, Jul 11, 2012.

1. hittjw

hittjw New Egg

Jul 11, 2012
    Martinsville, VA
    Just wanted to share some research I'm doing as I'm relocating to the Martinsville VA area. Within city limits you are not allowed to have chickens.

Founds some nice 1 to 5 arcre properties with mixed wooded lots -- but within the city it would be illegal to raise them. Guess I'm looking too close to the golf course to have a few laying hens for the family. Anyone else out this way?

Martinsville: Ch. 5, Art. 1, Sec. 5-3 -- Livestock, poultry, or birds running at large. If they make it to the street or someone else property, it's a class 3 misdemeanor. (Virginia: Ch. 1, Sec. 2 (23), Sec. 15.1-870)

Martinsville: Ch. 5, Art. 2, Sec. 5-17 -- Keeping of swine, goats, or sheep prohibited. Not allowed to have goats or sheep within city limits.

Martinsville: Ch. 5, Art. 2, Sec. 5-18 -- Keeping of other livestock and poultry. Not allowed to have chickens within city limits. (Ord. No. 95-9, 9-26-95; Ord. No. 97-4, 3-25-97; Ord. No. 98-8, 7-28-98; Ord. No. 2002-11, 11-12-2002) Class 1 misdemeanor.

Full code and zoning details available for City of Martinsville, VA available at:
    http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10095

Won't give up on having these girls scratching around a garden bed between seasons, or fresh eggs in the morning -- but will possibly have to look outside the city limits for more suitable space. If someone is raising chickens within city limits here and would like to share some experiences (anonymously for clandestine operations) -- please reply here or private message.

Sincerely,

Justin

2. Eggnmeon

Eggnmeon New Egg

Jul 27, 2012
    I too am moving to Martinsville and would like to keep chickens in the backyard, especially with the coming rise in poultry and egg prices due to the drought and corn shortage. Maybe we could petition town council?

3. hittjw

hittjw New Egg

Jul 11, 2012
    Martinsville, VA
    Eggnmeon,

There's a bakery off Spruce in front of the Food Lion that sells local farm raised eggs for $2.99, and has wonderful baked goods. I'd like to meet locals raising chickens already before a petition. I'm sure there are clandestine operations in the city limits. Many of these houses have 1 to 5 acre lots.

There are also Backyard Flocks Meetup groups in both Roanoke VA and Greensboro NC waiting lists. There are also Permaculture Meetup groups in Roanoke VA and Kernersville NC (each ~40 miles away) with good attendance. Might find some support there before taking on the city.

Elon University (NC) is even doing a Grow Biointensive Workshop. I sure other schools have small-scale chicken related activities. Easier to change city ordinance with a group of trained individuals with university and regional support. There might be other opportunities, right now I'll focus on getting moved.

Anything is possible.

Sincerely,

Justin

4. brandedbud22

brandedbud22 New Egg

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi, Just replying to you message. I too am moving to Martinsville, Va. Our House is within what is considered city limits, ( city water/sewer/and trash pickup) but not in the city itself, but the outskirts. I see that this was an early post, but want some info as well. I know it is not legal to have free roaming chickens, but what if you had them contained in a chicken coop ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by