City of Portage, IN votes down Chicken Ordinance

JimT1953

Hatching
Nov 8, 2017
On Tuesday 11/7/2017 the City of Portage, Indiana voted down an ordinance that would allow backyard chickens. This is unfortunate for the residents of the city. It was demonstrated that some members of the Ordinance Committee and the Council did little research. The ordinance required a limit of 4 hens and no roosters. One comment made by the president of the council was that hens multiply quickly. I think he forgot his high school biology class (no roosters). One claimed that it would reduce property values. As a Realtor I find this not to be factual as neighboring Valparaiso property values have increased. Another claimed it would draw coyotes into the city. There are already coyotes in the city as well as not too far away downtown Chicago. I think our city council needs to do some research before making decisions like this.

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here Jim!

This ruling is completely unfair. Is there a way you can appeal it? Is it possible to sue? Does this disrupt your current situation? (IE: Do you have chickens?)

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. Perhaps you can visit YOUR STATE THREAD for further assistance as well.

Welcome to BYC! One thing you could do is vote the "NO" guys off of the council. How many chicken voters can you get to sign something? For us here, chickens matter. I would not vote for anyone who turned down chickens. I am shopping for a new place to live, and a top priority is "Allows Chickens", I do not even look if the answer is "NO"!

The megacities of London, England, Brussels, Belgium, Seattle, WA allow hens in backyards!!!! I have visited several! There is a website for the Seattle chicken fancy, an annual meeting for new chicken owners with coop needs and care and control. Will see if I can find the site in my Saves! Pictures of the coops are creative and attractive. Even our small town has now allowed hens, but it needed work with the City Council members. Don't give up.

Perhaps you could write a 1 page paper with foot notes and sources on a second page where you could ask the city government could to at least reconsider the ordinance if they think it possible after reading your paper.

Haven't had time to search for the great article in the Seattle Times, some years ago, with pictures of backyard coops and runs, that do not tear up lawn or garden and very attractive for neighbors. You will find recent postings: Google: Seattle Times Backyard chickens--but not the article that I want you to use and somewhere in my files--still looking.

Back
Top Bottom