city of Wausau, WI. Allowed??

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by bm107, Jul 18, 2010.

1. bm107

bm107 New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    Hello all,

According to this sites ordinance section chickens are allowed in the city of wausau. However when i checked with the city of Wausau they told me no because they are classified as farm animals but the people i talked to really didn't seem to bright. Anyone know for sure or how to get a permit or something? Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks:).

-Brad

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    when i checked with the city of Wausau they told me no because they are classified as farm animals but the people i talked to really didn't seem to bright.

[​IMG]

So things haven't changed much since I moved 25 years ago, huh?

[​IMG]

I find it really bizarre that Wausau, of all places, would ban chickens. Most of the town was farms in the not so distant past.

P.S. Go Warriors!​

4. bm107

bm107 New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    Lol, no not much has changed Wifezilla. I also agree, I mean there is a farm not .2 miles from my house.

Thanks alot for that link Imp. I will be contacting the wausau commission for a greener tomorrow tomorrow and get involved.

5. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Take advantage of the growing sustainable food awareness. I think the campaign will help a lot.

If you have a ton of money burning a hole in your pocket, a guy I went to high school with is a lawyer there in town. [​IMG]

6. Chrisconsin

Chrisconsin New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    I live in the city of Wausau and have 4 hens. They are illegal but if you want to get together and discuss sometime I'll give you some pointers, introduce you to my birds, and talk about how we can change the law.

7. bm107

bm107 New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    Hello Chrisconsin, I would be interested in talking with you about raising chickens here in Wausau. I talked with all my neighbors and they are actually kind of interested in seeing how things work out and will probably look forward eggs on there door step from time to time. I'm thinking on turning my dog kennel(hunting dogs gone house dogs,lol) that was in my attached garage into my coop. Thoughts on that? Or should they be away from the house? If so what happens in winter, do they need a heat lamp or more heat?

8. bm107

bm107 New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    What are the best breeds to handle this cold weather climate? And thanks for all the help so quickly!

9. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Someone here raises Icelandic chickens. They are very rare, but definitely cold adapted. Wjhat about Sussex or Barnevelders? Buffs maybe?

Avoid birds with big combs or wattles that would be susceptible to frostbite.

10. Chrisconsin

Chrisconsin New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    When we get together to talk in person I can show you my coop, go over what I plan to do to make it better, and discuss winter. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by