City Ordinance laws, help me translate!

Mimzie

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Here are the rules

Restrictions:

(2) Livestock, rabbits or fowl within 100 feet of a private residence the person has no right to occupy;
(3) Livestock or fowl within 300 feet of a church, school, hospital or public place where food is sold or consumed;

Does private residence mean their grass or their house? lol AND If my neighbor is ok with it, does this law still stand? What if the neighbor and I built coops together (each on our own property but side by side) could we say it was at least 100ft from the other neighbors? I plan on putting up a privacy fence if we do this, actually my neighbor is my father in law and he doesnt care, he owns his house, we own ours so its not like we are renting and there's a chance someone will move in that does care. Each of our neighbors would be fine with it too (very easy going neighbors) but our backyard neighbors may not *but* they most likely fall outside of the 100ft rule.

And any help on how I can change this 100ft rule would be nice! A lot of people are very interested in raising chickens but many homes are built on matchbox size lots so that excludes them! There is no rule against roosters and no limit on chickens *but* they cannot be free range (although I do not *see* that in the rules and until I do......) and they have to have a decent size coop (cant be crammed in)

And what kind of fine am I looking at? Are fines per chicken or per offence? lol

Rachel

Last edited:
Not a lawyer, but my interpretation of "private residence" would be the actual dwelling, otherwise I believe it would be 100 feet from the property line.

Laws/Ordinances are laws/ordinances regardless of if the private resident it was written to protect has no problem with you breaking it. You're less likely to get reported, but the city still has the right to uphold their provisions should the find your coop and pursue it, if I'm not mistaken.

All that said, check state laws for those that are more lenient and cannot be over-ridden by local provisions -- in some circumstances even if on the books a city's ordinances are in violation of state regulations and thus moot.

Back
Top Bottom