City ordinance

longduckdong78

Hatching
Sep 8, 2016
Hi. I apologize for the silly username. I tried several and they were taken. Anyway the situation I have is a week ago I bought 3 hens. I have them in the coop only. No outside run.
My 8 yr. old was exited about getting them and told his class. It made its way down the line to city hall.
Small town North Dakota 800 ppl.
Today I got a letter saying " no poultry shall run at large within city limits" also any such shall be no closer than 75 ' from any dwelling.
I have a half acre lot. I'm more than 75 feet away and the hens have not stepped on my grass. They are quiet and can't be seen from road.
Frustrated !!!

As long as you know you're in compliance with the ordinances I would take photos showing that the coop is 75' + from all dwellings and that the chickens are in fact contained and not running about the property, and then send those to whichever city/county department issued the letter. I assume they'll want to come out and do an inspection as well. You should be fine as long as you can prove you're in compliance.

If it is only a letter reminding you of rules you may not need to do anything. You believe you are in compliance. A citation would be another matter. Why draw more attention to yourself at city hall?

Where I live in Volusia county Florida, the county has similar requirements and only allow one pet hen per residence. Pretty sure the laws are agriculture business driven no matter what their health claims, etc. It is my understanding that the city allows 3 hens per residence. I got that as secondhand knowledge, however. There has been a trend towards leniency in enforcement unless a complaint is made.

I went to city hall and talked to lady there. She said I was in he right about the ordinance. She then gave me a copy of a zoning rule.
Animal units on single family non farm agricultural property.
Anyway she gave née ail addresses to the 4 council members. She also told me the one who was against having hens and the other 3 it didn't matter either way. She told me I should attend next counsel meeting and not to get rid of my birds yet. I may have a chance !

Back
Top Bottom