city ordinances for chickens

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by homecatmom, Sep 1, 2007.

1. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Several weeks ago when I joined this list, someone sent a message with a link to check if my city (West Covina, CA.) allows chickens. I have searched high and low for the link and cannot find it again. Please whoever sent it, re-send it. I need to print it and highlight it for a neighbor...pronto.
    Thanks in Advance!!

I continued my search and I found it finally. This was very informative in case any of you would like to see if your ordinances are online. www.municode.com The funny thing is this was sent to me by a member in England..The internet is a wonderful thing! Thanks

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

The ones for my town aren't but I printed out copies when I found it online.
    Thanks for the reminder, though.

3. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Sorry, municode is the only one I know, and normally when I see a post of the "can I keep chickens in my town" variety, I just stick up the URL . . . my knowledge of US law is basic to say the least, and what I do know I've learnt from BYC, so I find it's best to let a factual website do the talking for me [​IMG]

4. chadchicago

chadchicago Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2007
    I made this video where you can listen in to the chicago cops and me discussing whether it is illegal to have chickens in chicago.

You'll be surprised at the result!

Youtube Video: Chicken Coop In Chicago?

Moral of the story is: get it in writing

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Very nice video. Well do you have or are you getting chickens?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I got some folks living in the middle of Chicago having chickens! Get a copy of the city ordidance and if they say they do ALLOW chickens, at least you are safe there.

I see why NOT you could have chickens.....things are changing in the last decade that people want fresh eggs and pet chickens.....go for it! Its getting popular!

PS sorry I was not able to understand the video....no CC on it....hearing impaired here!

7. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    bwahahahahaha that was just plain funny.

(the complete lack of knowledge on the parts of everyone but the lawyer AND the response of the lawyer.)

My husband had me call the town clerk where we live, just in case, but we're in a really agricultural area, so me being laughed at made MUCH more sense.. *grin*

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Man! Listening to that video just reminds me of how rude people can talk to each other. Everyone he talked to responded back to him like he was an idiot because he wanted to know the answer to ONE SIMPLE QUESTION. What's wrong with this country to where people can't talk to others with respect anymore. Makes me glad that I'm southern and not in Chicago.

I'm not saying that ALL people in Chicago talk to others like that but everyone that WORKS for the city of Chicago sure comes across that way.

Just rude!!!

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    This is why online searches are so nice...no people with opinions about the law, but the actual law itself. Don't answer the question if you don't know the answer. I don't know, but I will find out are some powerful words.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  10. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    the person in ok should really see that, she's battling the city right now. i've always thought that the law was in the hand of whoever your talking to at that moment. good thing you did'nt just stop with the one department but followed through till you got the right answer. it should be mandatory that law enforcement or any involved with the city / state should KNOW the laws for that city and that state wonder how many people have had their chickens taken cause chicago employees are ignorant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by