City Raised VERSUS Free range country raised...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PeppermintHen, Jun 28, 2011.

1. PeppermintHen

PeppermintHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Hello, I live in the city, like a neighborhood with houses very close together and neighbors and people walking the sidewalks and everyone waving as they drive by. We purchased 4 chicks and a supposedly baby purple peacock, which as they grew we assumed they were all female. That being thought the bigger they grew and still the more female they looked. These chickens have never ever even seemed to have the interest of jumping on the fence to leave. They show no interest in exploring whats over the fence, or down the street. Nothing. When I let them out to do their thing like forage, dust bath eat whatever they want, I have never had a problem with anyone taking off, to this day no chicken has voluntarily left my fenced in yard. One day I got the idea I needed a rooster. A big one!, bright, handsome, never you mind about the friendliness I wanted a rooster and had full support from our neighbors too. A co-worker of mine who lives in the country gave me one of many wild roosters and one hen. WELL! This guy and girl are wild. They beat up my chickens, they kept getting into the neighbors yard. My neighbors are calling me at work to pick the rooster up at their house. OMG. Accepted. This was a bad idea. My day off comes around, I let my feathered friends out as usual, this rooster is singing in the middle street, people are honking because he is in the street and staring them down, he won't move. ((Embarrased))
    Okay so the question is, Where these chickens leaving because they are wild? That is what they are used too, exploring? The hen followed him. My original chickens let them leave and stayed in our yard. They said good riddens to these bullies.

Oh, and the peacock is a female and starting to show some purple. Like purple, not blue with purple, or hints of purple, just purple. She is still blossoming but she's getting there.

2. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    The rooster and hen are used to having a large area to roam, you're not going to convince them to stay in small area now.

And I really wouldn't have gotten a peahen in town. My grandfathers peafowl were all quite loud.

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Yes they are use to roaming wild. BTW where did the chickens go? Did they just wonder off?

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Even a city raised rooster will roam more than hens. They want to have a large territory and know what's goign on, so unless you get a really big roo who can't fly you'll have a roaming issue.

5. PeppermintHen

PeppermintHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    These two chickens were given back to my co-worker. Come to find out two streets over someone else has chickens and a peacock. They just had a garage sale and their peacock was loud. I think I will stay rooster less . Although I have never had ay issues with my original hens roaming, I agree with all of you. Thanks for your input - Yvette

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I have chickens in a city environment too, and the unfortunate reality is that you have to limit yourself on what fowl you get. To do otherwise is to risk being labled as a bad neighbor, have your flock sabotaged, and/or having animal control on your doorstep.

I was careful to only get quiet and docile breeds of chicken, and I gave away any roosters that accidentally ended up in my batch of chicks. My girls never try to leave the yard, and only make a racket during egg-laying. Even then, I live in fear of making my neighbors angry, and go out of my way to give them all eggs to show that I appreciate their tolerance.

I do not see any scenario in which you can keep a peacock or a rooster in a close urban environment without it causing massive amounts of grief for you and your neighbors.

This is why some day I'll be fabulously wealthy someday and own a beautiful ranch with views of the mountains. [​IMG]

7. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I live rurally, but oddly in the residential area of town where we have a normal street with neighbors and such. We have six chickens and our local ordinance allows for twelve. I don't have a rooster and I don't think I need one. If I had more land I'd have a rooster and I'd explore other types of animals but for now this is my limit. I think roosters in general want more space. At least, that's been my experience with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by