1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

City requires organization membership?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BuzzKillBillZ, Apr 12, 2017.

1. BuzzKillBillZ

BuzzKillBillZ New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    Bellevue NE
    Hello,
    I just created an account here even though I have been following the site for a while. I had raised pet egg laying chickens before and loved my girls. They were some pretty leghorns and boy did they lay eggs. Unfortunately, I live in Bellevue Nebraska and the city has passed some frustrating legislation for having chickens. The requirement I was having the hardest time with was the requirement of belonging to an "Exhibition Organization" in order to be eligible to even apply for a permit to own chickens again. I spoke to someone in my neighborhood that had chickens and she said that they were able to get a certificate of membership to "Back Yard Chickens" and that the city considered that to be sufficient. So, here I am. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Bill

PS. My Leghorn hens I mentioned are currently living on a friend's 8 acre hobby farm in another town that isn't so anti chicken. When the city told me I needed a permit or they were gonna fine me and or take the girls to put them down, I found them a happy home. They are now the big girls on the block of a flock of over a dozen different hens and one rooster. They were such good pets and gave me so many eggs I felt I owed them a happy ending.

2. brucifer

brucifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Very strange that you weren't grandfathered in since you already are raising chickens. Anyway, check with (PM) @speckledhen She will point you in the right direction. Best of luck.

3. BuzzKillBillZ

BuzzKillBillZ New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    Bellevue NE
    Yeah, apparently the grandfathering required you to register and apply for a permit in a very small window and the city didn't start enforcement of the new ordinance untill after that window expired. Before that there was no requirements on raising cickens to my knowledge. So I had no idea it was coming. Like I said, my city does not like chickens and our city council is shady as can be. Thank you for the help. I will PM that person right away. If all goes well I will be able to post some pictures of my new girls some day soon.

Bill

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under BuzzKillBillZ [​IMG] Welcome!

Good luck!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, BuzzKillBiil, and welcome to BYC! Great to have you in our community!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Clhill78

Clhill78 New Egg

Jun 19, 2017
    @BuzzKillBillZ have you had any luck with getting a permit? We are getting ready to move to Bellevue and would like some hens to provide eggs for our family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by