1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

City rooster kept inside-good or bad plan?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by danielnv, Jan 21, 2009.

1. danielnv

danielnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mountains of Virginia
    Hey folks, I'm new here and just about to start incubating some golden cuckoo marans and khaki campbell ducks. I have 1/3 acre, but right in the city, and I don't want anyone reporting me! So my options are 1) sell any roosters before they become a nuisance and just keep the hens, or 2) keep any roosters inside the house, or garage. I could see putting in a skylight for them, or at least give them a nice window. Am I nuts? If I make the garage into a coop that the hens spend much of their time in also, I am thinking eggs will be fertilized when needed and yet I can let the hens outside for part of the day. My biggest goal is eggs for eating, but if I could have fertile eggs and/or chicks to sell and help pay for expenses-that would be better.

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    It is my great understanding from the very knowledgeable people on this board that having a rooster inside a house that you live in if fairly unacceptable to all parties within the house [​IMG]

Additionally, this is not a money making past time unless you have LOTS of birds to lay eggs OR you have prized show birds. Think of them more as clucking pets. And have fun!

3. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    I think it is a great plan ! I live in the city and have a rooster and having fertile eggs for chicks to sell to go toward feed expense is really great the neighbors buy my eggs occasionally and everyone loves my rooster so and he is outside 24/7 so I say go for it!

[​IMG]

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

First, [​IMG] WELCOME to BYC.

Then, I wouldn't want a roo (or even a hen) inside my house for any length of time, once they're out of the brooder and ready for the barnyard, (however small a barn/yard it may be) they're OUTA there! I don't think it's terribly healthy for people OR chickens to do that. They're poultry who should be outdoors as much as possible, in their coop if weather demands. As far as the garage goes, Egg and Meat birds do get kept in warehouses, but why do we want to perpetuate that with our birds? (also, crowing can be heard outdoors if a roo is in the garage anyway) Still, it's up to you.

I have a question, are you SURE it's illegal in your town? Besides, not all neighbors object, especially if bribed with fresh eggs like CrazyChicken suggests.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:I presently have a roo in my garage coop. Like you I am a chicken outlaw lol He is very loud (mixed EE/RIR Roo) I think I have gotten away with it because everyones windows are closed because of the weather but in spring I am gonna have a problem if I do not sound proof the coop more. Even threw the ply and garage door he can be heard down the block, and I have a acre and a 1/4.

6. danielnv

Jan 19, 2009
    Mountains of Virginia
    Thanks for the welcome and opinions so far everyone!

I wouldn't really want a roo cooped up ALL the time. I am hoping there is a time of day when he is quiet and I can let him out. From what I have found browsing the forum so far, it depends on the roo so I guess I will have to wait and see.

I am thinking 1 roo is quite without the competition of another, but if I only had one he would be lonely when away from his hens.

If he were to be inside he would be In a bird room that could hopefully be soundproofed. In the summer I use a swamp cooler, so that makes for good ventilation, but then if a window is cracked for air, his crowing would carry outside more. There is a goose not too far away that I hear occasionally, but not nearly as obnoxious as a roo.

7. urbanagrarian

urbanagrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    A rooster in a garage can still wake you up even with the windows closed if he has any kind of decent crow. I know this from the experience of having my coop be a pen in my garage and raising straight run chicks. Any one that was a rooster made himself known when he started crowing and thus had to leave because no roosters are allowed in my town.

I'm not sure about a rooster in the house. I haven't tried that.

8. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Quote:Ummm, sorry on this, but in my experience with Roo's, there is no quiet time when you can let them out. They crow when they feel good, when they feel sad or lonely, in fact, they crow when they feel any mood that makes them crow! Crowing is what roosters do best!

Sadly there is a reason why cities dont want roos in the back yard. They make lots of noise. Do all your little young roos a favor, and find them new homes. Keep your garage as your garage!

Good Luck!

9. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    [​IMG] A quiet roo. Sorry, this just made me giggle. A quiet rooster is a sick rooster.

I have one that has been in a cage by himself for a few months (he got beat up pretty bad) and now he is ready to go out and play, oh yeah and of course he crows the loudest! I think it is a bad idea to keep them inside all the time. They love to be outside and with eachother. Sometimes they all crow at the same time [​IMG] I have 8 roos.

10. danielnv

Jan 19, 2009
    Mountains of Virginia
    Thanks Pied Piper,

That's the conclusion I am reaching too, that a roo just won't do unless somehow I get one of the super quiet ones I read someone had. I'm sure the quiet ones are very rare.

I don't want to get reported because of the roo and then have to rehome my pullets too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by