City Slicker coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tlagnhoj, Jun 25, 2011.

1. tlagnhoj

tlagnhoj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Indy
    I thought I'd share my coop and run pics since I know how much I benefited from seeing others when I was starting this process. Ultimately we opted for a pre-manufactured coop for time purposes (certainly not for budget reasons [​IMG]). But the run was entirely created by us.

Basic 2x4 construction. Carsiding and 2x12s for the shelter/shade. And a standard wooden screen door from the local hardware store. It doesn't look that big from the pics, but it's about 7x8. And the coolest part: the side closest to the house is right up against a window, so I can see them anytime I want from inside!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's their first night out in the new digs. Hope they like it.

Oh, and I have 5 Barred Rocks. You can see two of them on the ground in front of the coop just at the mid-line 2x4. They will be 5wks old Monday.

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Looks pretty good for a City Slicker....lol...just kidding. Your idea of having it close to the house with the window is awesome idea, very clever [​IMG]!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  3. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I love when people go against the grain and make it a point to co-habitate with animals such as chickens within city limits. Good for you for knowing what you want and doing such a great job of creating a homey, safe environment for them. Oh, and I love the window thing [​IMG]

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice set up. [​IMG] Might want to hang a outside roost pole an throw a tarp or cover over it this winter to keep the snow out (kinda like a rain fly on a tent) this will let them enjoy that nice run year around. [​IMG]

5. greenbottle27

greenbottle27 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Southern NJ
    I LOVE it!

Best of luck to you and the flock [​IMG]

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Nice digs! Makes me wish mine were closer to the house.

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    That is really nice. Clever idea.[​IMG]

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Looks great! If you feel like they need more room, you could always roll the coop out, cut a hole in your run wire and drop the ramp in. Securing against the beasts of the night of course!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by