City to Country momma!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Momma on a Mission, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Momma on a Mission

Momma on a Mission Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Seymour, IN
    I've been married 9 years now and we are finally at a financial spot that my husband and I can begin to start our farm. We have decided to start small and do Chickens first. Then Cows and possibly horses.

I'm excited! Being a stay at home mom, this is just what I need! [​IMG]

I have been researching and studying like crazy. We are starting to collect the items to create our coop and nesting area. Hubby and I decided to get chickens for laying eggs. White Leghorns seen to be our best bet. I'm open to any advice.

From Momma on a Mission

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

[​IMG] from MN!

3. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    [​IMG] from Apex, NC! [​IMG] You'll have so much fun with your chickens! You may want to look into friendly breeds so that your kids can interact with them. My chickens are so friendly my 2 year old can rub on them and give them treats out of his hand and it is so much fun! I understand leghorns aren't the friendliest breed, but can't speak from experience. Good luck with your farm and have fun!!! [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, and [​IMG]. So glad you are able to start up a farm with some chickens. They are great fun as well as providing an edible pay off. I agree with suburbanchickymama...leghorns tend to be kind of fidgety and not too friendly but they do churn out the eggs. There are more personable breeds out there. Whatever you decide, best of luck and enjoy BYC! [​IMG]

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Welcome and congratulations on finally making it to the country!!

6. JoyfulChaosMama

JoyfulChaosMama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    YAY!! We recently made the move from city life to a small farm also. I've always been an at home mama, and it is so nice to work with my children here. We have a huge garden and have been putting food away like crazy, twelve hens giving us 6 eggs each day so far, and a great big old (112 years old!) farmhouse to feather. It's been very satisfying so far. It's so nice to *meet*you.

7. Spud Chicken

Spud Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Idaho
    Hello from Idaho and [​IMG] Let the chicken madness begin.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh lucky you! I'm even excited for you! Welcome to BYC from Ohio! [​IMG]

9. Momma on a Mission

Momma on a Mission Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Seymour, IN
    What "family friendly" chickens would you recommend? We are looking for layers. I'm not picky on the color of the eggs.

10. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    That is awesome! I would definately look into friendly breeds especially if you have children. I love my EEs they are the sweetest things. Will jump in my lap if im sitting out by the coop and lay in my lap for a little nap.
    It is a lot of fun taking care of chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by