city vs. 2 hens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by quadcam79, Feb 21, 2009.

1. quadcam79

quadcam79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    I havent posted in awhile but I saw this story in our local news and thought you all may want to read it and make a comment.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/18763963/detail.html

heres the text
    Family Fights To Keep Pet Chickens
    Atlantic Beach Family To Speak To Commission About Keep Chickens As Pets

POSTED: Friday, February 20, 2009
    UPDATED: 11:40 pm EST February 20, 2009

ATLANTIC BEACH, Fla. -- An Atlantic Beach family is prepared to take on city leaders who want the family's two chickens to do their clucking somewhere else.

Chickens Hester and Penny live on Eighth Street. The fowls moved into the Weber household around Christmas of last year.

"I got (them) as a Christmas present from my husband and daughter. Apparently, you're not allowed to have chickens in Atlantic Beach," said Julie Weber.

The issue has the two hens embroiled in controversy because the Weber family doesn't want to give them up, but the city said the feathered fowls need to find a new place to live.

"We get an egg each and every day. They peck around and eat the bugs, and we compost the chicken manure and use it back into our garden. Overall, it's just a cool thing," Weber. "We have a petition. So if anyone wants to swing by they can over the weekend and we're going to go with our facts and as many supporters as we can."

There are signs are up and the neighbors have been backing the Weber family whose chickens have become famous among the neighborhood kids.

Atlantic Beach's city manager said the ordinance concerning farm animals is clear: "It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain horses, mules, cows, cattle, chickens, poultry or goats in the city." He said the ordinance is to protect densely populated areas from barnyard animals.

However, neighbors on densely populated Eighth Street don't seem to mind the animals.

"They're not a nuisance -- not causing problems. Maybe the city should concentrate on other crime problems than two little chickens," said one resident.

The Weber family said it is headed to the city commission meeting on Monday night to fight for their fowls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by