City Wants to Ban Chickens

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Newchickfarmer, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Newchickfarmer

Newchickfarmer New Egg

Apr 13, 2013
    My city is trying to ban raising more than two chickens. This new law is currently in the planning phase with the possibility of being on the ballot in November. If it passes, homeowners will not be permitted to have more than 2 chickens per property.

I currently have 8 chickens and the coop and run are much larger than suggested minimums. They are kept a good distance from neighbors on both sides and you could not argue that they are a nuisance.

I am looking for help in fighting this. Our city has an open forum to discuss next week. I would like to present an intelligent and convincing argument. Anyone have advice, data, presenentations, etc they can share?

Your help is appreciated.

2. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Chickens are highly social animals and need more than one other chicken to be happy?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  3. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi Newchickfarmer and [​IMG]

I am posting my story regarding the proposed changes to my City's regulations where they were thinking of banning roosters--which I have--so you can check out that thread.

I was very proactive and passionate (without being rude) about my need to keep roosters along with my chickens. I also called everyone I knew that likes or has chickens both in the City and friends that live just next to the city that might get annexed so that they could express their opinions too. They had not received any letters from the City since they are not in the area of the proposed changes, but their voice matters too.

Could you please tell us more of your story such as where you live, how large of a town it is, what the current regulations are (if any--sometimes the ordinances are mute and don't address poultry one way or another), are they proposing to grandfather people in, does your state have Right to Farm legislation, what the process is for the rule changes and why they are proposing changing them (complaints? someone thought it was a good idea? etc)--this had to have come from somewhere and its key to understand why they are proposing the change in order to fight the change!

So lots more info and links to the City's website and ordinances if you have them would be great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by