City water safe for ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PotatoWaffles, Feb 10, 2015.

1. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    I was wondering if anyone had experience with using city tap water for ducklings. I know ducks, especially ducklings, are sensitive to chemicals. I'm sure it varies from city to city, but I'm from a super small town, and ours tastes like pool water and leaves calcium deposits like crazy. It's seriously blegh. I'm wondering whether I shouldn't set out bowls of water overnight to at least let the chlorine evaporate out. Or should I be paranoid and just buy distiller water? The only problem is that the closest store is 20 miles away. I'll also be adding vitamin supplements and Brewers yeast.

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I've only used city water for mine. I figure if it is safe for me to drink it it is safe for my ducks.

3. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio

Yeah, I think I am just being paranoid. But I will at least set their water out overnight to evaporate the chlorine.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would set it out overnight. I used to do that when we had a tiny pond and city water. There were goldfish in the pond. Probably not necessary, but yes, some places use loads of chlorine. And Storey's Guide says too much chlorine can kill beneficial gut flora.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Have you considered long term trying a rain barrel system? It might be a decent alternative in the future.

1 person likes this.
  6. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio

We actually do have a couple rain barrels, but it hasn't rained lately, just snowed. We don't have the hooked up to the gutters at the moment either, since our gutters fell off from the weight of the icicles.

7. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    If you have a lot of chlorine in your water, I would let it sit out for a while before you give it to the ducks. The chlorine will naturally evaporate out of the water in a short amount of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by