1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CityGirlintheCountry - Your Inbox is Full!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lauralou, May 31, 2008.

1. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Time to clean out some old messages... You chatty little thing, you!

2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    No kidding!!! Please don't think I ignored you either..tried to pm you back!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] You are one Chatty chick apparently!!!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Citygirlinthecountry, did you ever post pics of the house you moved to, I read the story about your move, would like to hear more.

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Oops! Sorry! It's all clean now. I have been lazy about my forum maintainance!

Seminole- I have randomly posted pics of parts of it. I'm pretty sure that I haven't posted pics of the front as it kind of makes me nervous having that on the internet. Paranoid, I know, but I live alone in the middle of nowhere. And, unless it's a vicious bunny intruder, I'm pretty sure the dogs will be worthless. They equate all new people with the pizza guy and welcome them right on in. Dorks.

I think I have pics on here of the kitchen remodel. That's the latest room I've tackled. I have some other stuff on my blog thingy. Most of the pics are of the garden and chicken coop though. [​IMG]

If I remember correctly you are remodeling an old farmhouse too, right? I'd love to chat about the whole process! I'm a total remodeling nerd! [​IMG]

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    No, I'm not remodeling a farm house, wish I was, so I follow your story.

Oh my gosh, your chicks are so cute! I love that pic where the one chick just drops where she is to sleep. And the one with the "hairdo", is that a polish?

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yup. She's a polish and a nutcase! Her head feathers are really starting to pop out right now, so she looks a little freaky. But she's a complete spaz. She cracks me up!

There's also a white silkie and a blue silkie in the lot. They have the poofy hairdos as well. I have to say that I thought silkies were lap chickens. These two are scaredy cats and will have nothing to do with me (unless I have treats in my hand). I'm finding that the EEs are much friendlier.

Sadly my camera is broken right now so I can't post any updated pics on my site. Grrrrr. I hope to get it fixed this week. The girls are huge compared to the pictures on there right now.

They moved out to the big girl coop two nights ago. It's finally warm enough. They've been spending the day in the coop/run, with nights in the house. We finally took the plunge. The first night I was out there at about dusk and you could tell they were ready to go to bed. I had four asleep in my lap, one roosting on the back of my beach chair (I looked like the Bird Lady from Mary Poppins) and a whole herd of them nestled in the shavings on the floor of the coop. They had all just dropped where they were when the sun went down. I thought, well okay... let's just try to sleep out here tonight and started placing them in the coop. You would have thought I was plucking their little wing feathers out! Dorks. After considerable effort, including me putting each one up on the low roost, they finally settled in (but not without a bit of grumpy cheeping). All were fine and raring to go when I let them out yesterday morning. THey acted like the coop was the best thing since sliced bread (which is saying something as we seem to REALLY like sliced bread!). I went back out yesterday evening and we went through it all again- lots of chicken wailing and gnashing of teeth. When I shut the door they were miserably piled up in a corner, cheeping dramatically. Never mind that the coop is tons bigger than the brooder. Never mind that they have multiple roosts and space to spread out in the coop. Noooooooo.... we were disgruntled at having to be outdoor chickens. Sigh. Once again we were fine this morning. I swear they are just trying to make me feel guilty. (We had a huge electrical storm here last night. I was up at 3:30am trying to decide whether I should run out in the rain, toss them all in the crate and haul them back inside. Lighting was cracking all around me and I'm worried that the chickens will be scared. [​IMG] )

Let me see if I can dig up some pictures of the bathroom remodel. That was fairly spectacular. The kitchen and bath were the lasst two rooms I did. I'm kinda in a holding pattern right now trying to save up money for the next round. My hot water heater failed in a fairly spectacular way back in the spring. That drained the last $1000 out of the home fund. I'm told I need to put a new roof on, so that's the next big expensive project. Of course, I'm wanting to spend money now to build a larger chicken coop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by