Civil Disobedience and Nosey Neighbors.

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Namaste Mama, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    Thinking about going the way of Thoreau and getting a few more chickens than allowed in my area, except I have now new concerns over my neighbor. While out planting some trees I see my neighbor peep her head over the fence. she proceeds to tell me that I shouldn't plant palm trees because they are difficult, would I please remove my Ficus tree because its too big and gets leafs in her pool, and oh I saw you have chickens. What the heck? The only way she could see my chickens is if she was looking over my 6 foot block wall! She casually mentions how she had to call the police on the previous family for having a bonfire in the back yard. NICE. So now I am a bit worried about this. Will she start counting my chickens and turn me in? Should I even worry? [​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Build a higher fence [​IMG]

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

How 'bout keeping two groups of chickens that look the same, and alternate which group is out?

4. BeardedChick

... or build a catapult & aim it her way. [​IMG]

... or plant more ficus. [​IMG]

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    She certainly sounds like the type of neighbor who would turn you in. I'd think carefully before getting extra chickens.

6. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Plant another Ficus.

Sorry..........couldnt help it.

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Well to be truly civil disobedient you have to accept the fact you will be arrested and jailed for your beliefs, in order to make the larger point. So, maybe you should pick a different direction.

First, I'd get your feet under you. If you live within a City or County, google the ordnances regarding trees. In know is some areas, you are responsible for leaves falling on a neighbor's property. Not that I agree with it, but you should at least know what the 'rules' are.

Then, I'd google "passive aggressive" and learn a bit more about your neighbor, including good comebacks and tension de-escelation techniques.

If none of that works, we'll bring some ducks over to crap in her pool.

8. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    Quote:That is a fantastic idea. [​IMG]

9. BeardedChick

Classic tactic, it works on husbands, too. [​IMG]

10. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Oh lucky you! You have one of those neighbors. I suggest you plant oleanders as close as possible to her septic line, but far from your's.

I see you live in Arizona. We have some neighborhoods that are impossible.

Anytime someone stops at their house, go out and note down the license plate and make of the car. Be very obvious. Let her know that you are watching.

Inquire as to the immigration status of her, her family and any hired help that show up to work there.

Go look in to her garbage and poke around with a stick. Again, make a show of it.

The best defense is a good offense.

Good luck,

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by