CL post - kosher poultry

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SandraMort, Nov 2, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. Linky?

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I dont see anything [​IMG]

4. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    I doubt there would be much of a market here. Unless the schochet was part of a major kosher supervision agency I don't know many Jews who would buy the meat. Besides having the birds slaughtered in a kosher manner they must also be dressed properly. After that is the issues of soaking and salting the meat , unless the consumer wants to do that themselves, which is unlikely in this day and age when you can get kosher poultry ready to cook in most major markets. Just my opinion.

Peggy

5. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Quote:I live near NYC with a HUGE Jewish population. I'm not concerned about that. And any shochet who works legally ought to be USDA certified. The big ? is whether people will pay extra for organic/free range.

Besides having the birds slaughtered in a kosher manner they must also be dressed properly. After that is the issues of soaking and salting the meat , unless the consumer wants to do that themselves,

The dressing and such should be handled by the shochet and the soaking and salting is NOT difficult to do.

which is unlikely in this day and age when you can get kosher poultry ready to cook in most major markets. Just my opinion.

Peggy

Yes, you can, but it's *REALLY* not very good quality.​

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I think lots people who inteerpret kashrut more broadly, as eco-kashrut (the reason my family only eats fraee range or home-raised or local meat insead of bying from factory farms, whether technically kosher or not) or in a reconstructionist manner would be interested. If you search the NYT there was n article, just within the last month I think, on this subject. It featured a young man who is doin local, meaningful processing with correct kashrut. He was in the city, I believe.

If the torah is to be a living document, or a tree of life in any way, it has to include ideas like styrofoam is definitely treyf. So's factory farming. Dontcha think?

Where are you located, just out of curiosity?

7. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Quote:*nod* And this is NYC, a generally more liberal minded area.

If you search the NYT there was n article, just within the last month I think, on this subject. It featured a young man who is doin local, meaningful processing with correct kashrut. He was in the city, I believe.

I have been unable to track him down. I'm hoping someone can point me to him!

If the torah is to be a living document, or a tree of life in any way, it has to include ideas like styrofoam is definitely treyf. So's factory farming. Dontcha think?

Where are you located, just out of curiosity?

I do.

I'm in Saugerties, about 2 hours N of the city. I'm nowhere near green, but it's a path, you know? I try.​

8. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    There's a BIG reconstructionist shul around here. Maybe I should ask around there if anyone is interested.

Quote:

9. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    If you search the NYT for Shochet or kosher or something does he turn up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by