CL selling "Feeder Chicks"?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hmmcc123, Nov 14, 2011.

1. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Not sure if I posted this in the right area but I was on Craiglist and there in the farm and garden section is a post for "feeder chicks". What on earth does that mean? I mean, who eats baby chicks? How sad. [​IMG]

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/grd/2701730771.html

2. Caheen

Caheen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Some people feed their snakes or other reptiles chicks.

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    They are also used for raw fed dogs/cats. I feed raw but avoid chicks because I do not want my cats thinking they're food if my girls hatch chicks in the spring.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

That's so sad!

5. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Maybe they're meat chickens & the post was made by a person whose primary language isn't English??

I agree that it's possible they could be snake-feeding chicks, though. My son has a ball python and feeds it baby mice or baby chicks but mostly mice.

It's all part of the food chain.

ETA: To the OP: I *love* your lego chicken in your avatar! Your son did a great job. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Many, many years ago I was a teacher in NYC. I was told they had an incubator program and wanted to know if I wanted to incubate chicks in my classroom...I said sure. The hatch went perfectly and we had a clutch of little fuzzies in the brooder for a few days. Then "they" came around to collect the chicks and equipment. Meanwhile I had been finding homes for the chicks in VT. The told me I could 't keep or give the chicks away. I asked where are they going and he told me the city had a contract with the local zoos to feed the chicks to the reptiles in the zoos. I never participated in the program again. Here in Vt I have always incubated chicks as part of the life science curriculum but I use my incubator and purchase the eggs with my own money....and the chicks all go to wonderful homes and farms, including my own.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Wouldn't .25 cents be super cheap for day olds? [​IMG] I would think the power to the incubate for the 21 days would equal out to more than that per chick [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Quote:Thank you! He is a LEGO maniac. [​IMG]

10. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Thanks everyone for educating me on this one! I had no idea or I guess I never thought about chicks being sold as feed for retiles and such. Poor little things! And HHandBasket, I couldn't even imagine how sad and angry you must have been finding that out about the chicks from the classroom. How awful to find out after the fact! That was dirty rotten of them! Good for you for making the program still part of the education and doing it your way!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by