Clark (Cockeral) is Suddenly Very Quiet!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Catnip5, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Catnip5

Catnip5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    Harpswell, Maine
    So Mr. Clark with the raging hormones and constant crowing has suddenly gone very very subdued. It started yesterday morning with not a peep out of him at sunrise...I was late to open the coop and thought maybe he'd given up crowing from exhaustion, lol. However as the day progressed not a sound out of him, nor his frisky tendencies. He hardly ate afternoon treats and when he went to roost he went to sleep almost immediately.

I started to worry that a neighbor poisoned him it was such a drastic change in behavior.

This morning he's the same - came out, very subdued, very little appetite. I inspected him - no signs of wounds, nasal & mouth clear, eyes clear...feet maybe a little chilly, otherwise I'm stumped. The other 17 girls are active and vocal. I just don't get it...he pecked at the food but no major consumption. Same yesterday with afternoon treats.

Advice? Should I try some electrolytes or vitamins or something? Clearly something is amiss since he's hardly eating, very subdued and not a crow out of him. I can't imagine what has happened unless one of the girls pounced on him in retaliation or he ate a nail or something dangerous. It's all so sudden! I don't know how many days they can go without a healthy supply of food. I feed both fermented organic (New Country Organics) Y Organic Pellets. The duck feed is Mazuri Waterfowl.

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

2. noel1asn

noel1asn Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2015
    Check him for sour crop or an impaction. Give fluids via syringe. If he has sour crop, you will be able to smell it once you get close to his beak. If you have a vet, I would get him there ASAP

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd isolate him in a wire cage right in the coop and/or run.
    That way you can monitor what he's eating, drinking, pooping.
    I like to use a dog crate, adding smaller(1x2) wire on the bottom,
    and put the tray under the crate to see what he's pooping without him stepping all over it.
    Look him over very carefully, parting feathers to get a look at his skin.
    Some electrolyte/vitamins might not hurt...especially if it's been very hot out.
    Definitely feel his crop, especially at night and then early in the morning before giving feed again.

I would not 'syringe' fluids unless he is not drinking at all....and make sure you know what you're doing as you can aspirate and kill them pretty easily by just squirting fluids into his mouth. @casportpony has an excellent tutorial showing how to syringe safely.

4. Catnip5

May 18, 2015
    Harpswell, Maine
    Thanks all ... I did give him some oral electrolyte fluids - about 12 cc's - he was an angel. I've done wildlife rehab and was a vet tech for 10+ years so I'm very familiar with how to administer fluids, both sub-q and oral. He feels pretty thin to me...but was eating great the day before yesterday! Crop definitely feels empty but after the fluids he took to some pellets which was heartening. I didn't confine him as I had to rush off to work. We'll see how he is when I return late afternoon. I plan to stop at Tractor Supply to see what they have for worming meds in case it is cocci. I'll setup the iso cage tonight if he's no better and that way I can monitor his poop and intake more closely. It's supposed to be super hot again this week, highly unusual for Maine. In fact it was low 50's day before yesterday and then yesterday it was up in the high seventies and rising humidity - just awful weather for us. It's very odd indeed... Thankfully the others are all unaffected and the ducks are quite happy to be left alone.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Glad that because you're a vet tech you know that cocci isn't worms.

We had the chilly last weeks and now in heat wave here too..it's crazy.

6. Catnip5

May 18, 2015
    Harpswell, Maine
    No cocci is not a worm it's an intestinal parasite but meds will be in the same location as other worming meds and antibiotics, though I doubt there is much available OTC. I actually doubt very much it's cocci given that I haven't seen any loose poop...or bloody poop...and it would spread among the other 17 chickens. Also I would expect his comb to be pale and he's bright red. Not sure what the issue is but his symptoms come down to diminished appetite, no crowing and subdued behavior. Crop being empty not impacted and no sour smell...a real mystery as it's sudden onset. Honestly at a loss.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did you check thoroughly for external parasites?
    Have connections still to do a fecal?

8. Catnip5

May 18, 2015
    Harpswell, Maine
    I did check - nothing external either.
    Not close by - I moved 2 hours north from where I worked in veterinary medicine... I haven't checked with my local vet - she's primarily small animal cat/dog. Can't hurt to ask if she can run one.

9. noel1asn

noel1asn Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2015
    How is Mr Clark today?

10. Catnip5

May 18, 2015
    Harpswell, Maine
    Pretty much the same. No crowing, diminished appetite, slow moving, no visible distress...subdued. I gave oral electrolytes / fluids and nutri drench and an ml of olive oil. Crop was pretty empty last night and this morning. He's nibbling but not eating enough. Comb is bright red, eyes clear, no nasal discharge. No chance for better or worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by